You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Color Classic Blinking Floppy Icon After Recapping and PRAM Replacement

Team, haven’t posted in awhile. My Color Classic stopped working recently: black screen, no HD spin, nada.

I recapped the board, replaced the PRAM battery and plugged it in. Voila! The screen sprang to life, the HD spun up, but then sputtered out, then tried to spin up again before settling into what sounded like silence. Finally a floppy icon with a question mark appeared.

Following other advice on this forum I reset the PRAM via command-option-P-R and four chimes, but the result was the same.

I do NOT have system floppies.

What are my options to get my sweet boy up and running again?!?

Thanks in advance for any insights offered!

J

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 2, 2024 8:29 AM

2 replies

Jul 2, 2024 2:31 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Just this afternoon I purchased a set of disks that include...

7.1 Printing

7.1 Tidbits

7.1 Fonts

2.2 Hypercard Player

7.1 Install

1.0.5 Install Me First Mac Color Classic

7.1 Install 2

Hardware System Update

1.0.5 Disk Tools Mac Color Classic

Hopefully one of those will get me a little deeper into the process.

Unfortunately, all of the vintage machines (and hardware) I have (a SE/30 and a Powerbook145B) are in need of recapping as well. The CC was the first one to get done, so it stands alone for now.

I was really hoping that it was a PRAM issue (and I suppose it could still be, but requires a Disk Tool to correct - the HD was working fine shortly before the recap), and not something like Stiction on the HD. I'd like to keep this machine as close to factory as possible, so if I can help it, I'd like a SCSI HD of the era in there, and not a SCSI2CF conversion (though if push comes to shove). I'm not picky about recovering drive contents, so much as I am concerned with installing a functioning system if I must.

Once I get the disks I'll report back!

Thanks for your time, Jan.

Color Classic Blinking Floppy Icon After Recapping and PRAM Replacement

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.