You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imap password for gmail forgotten

I want to open my gmail account on a PowerBook I have not used since 2010. The mail is there, but I need an imap password to access it. Where and how would I find that password ? (Most info online is about Outlook, which I do not use.)

Many thanks in advance.

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jul 2, 2024 5:39 AM

5 replies

Jul 3, 2024 11:11 AM in response to 1aix1

https://www.lifewire.com/what-are-the-gmail-imap-settings-1170852

But Mail that old will not support the ew AUTH2.0 needed.

Mail and Google's OAuth 2.0 policy

Mail and Google's OAuth 2.0 policy - Apple Community

Mac's Mail App is not as modern as iOS's Mail app, Many eMail providers now require a separate App Password different from your eMail password…

If it's an IMAP account, delete it in Sys Prefs Internet Accounts then use "Other" instead of gMail choice to add it.

Most likely biggest factor is using Other in Mail setup, then using a Browser that doesn’t have gMail PW stored init to get the App PW.

Unable to add Gmail to MacOS mail - Apple Community

Thanks to Bob Sabiston

iMac says Connection Insecure. Failed to … - Apple Community

Thanks to Webmb…

Sonoma can’t connect to gMail…

I'm no longer receiving mails on my iMac … - Apple Community

GC mac

User level:

Level 1

4 points

Nov 1, 2023 10:12 PM in response to Maggiellv

I also spent hours trying to solve this issue until I followed this video... It worked and my Gmail accounts are back on Mac Mail.

Give it a shot and good luck! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U0WPw2TsTAY

Jul 2, 2024 9:46 AM in response to 1aix1

1aix1 wrote:

I want to open my gmail account on a PowerBook I have not used since 2010. The mail is there, but I need an imap password to access it. Where and how would I find that password ? (Most info online is about Outlook, which I do not use.)
Many thanks in advance.

Ask google what settings to use for their IMAP account.

Imap password for gmail forgotten

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.