You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does my Mac Pro support AVX2

Mac Pro (Late 2013)

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac Pro

Model Identifier: MacPro6,1

Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Xeon E5

Processor Speed: 3 GHz

Number of Processors: 1

Total Number of Cores: 8

L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB

L3 Cache: 25 MB

Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled

Memory: 64 GB

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Jun 30, 2024 7:02 PM

7 replies

Jul 1, 2024 12:40 PM in response to ReubenG77

AVX2 is an additional extension of the AVX instruction set, and was only available in later Haswell processors.

The MacPro late 2013 appear to use E5 v2 processors, too early to get those additional AVX2 instructions. AVX2 requires Haswell family processors.

They do include AVX instructions, but that appears to be not quite good enough according to the message you are getting. AVX were included in Sandy Lake family processors, such as these used in the MacPro late 2013:

4-core E5 1620v2

6-coreE5 1650v2

8-coreE5 1680v2

12-coreE5 2697v2

Jul 1, 2024 1:26 PM in response to ReubenG77

To the best of my knowledge, that would be...nothing -- using Apple's recommended upgrades.

NONE of those processors were able to execute AVX2 instructions.

I was not able to find any common hack to upgrade, except to switch to a more-cores version of the same processor family, which would not accomplish adding AVX2 instructions.

If you DO find a way to replace the processor with a later one that DOES AVX2 instructions, even if it is dangerous to your computer or your person, Readers would like to know it exists, even if it is not recommended.

Does my Mac Pro support AVX2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.