You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple User Enrollment & MDM

An organization I contract with has given me an email address so I can more easily communicate with staff. They use a secure service through Google. I would like to be able to access the account via my iPhone 12 with IOS 17.5.1. This requires downloading the Gmail app, but then to login it wants me to install the Google Device Policy profile on my phone. My phone is personal so it is a BYOD. This profile would allow the IT guy to have total access to my phone so they could wipe it if necessary. No way!! Basically he says not to load it. So...

In my research I have come across Apple User Enrollment. However, it would seem to be able to use this, the IT guy would have to do something on his end first. Am I correct? I'm trying not to step on anyone's toes here as technically I am the lowly contract person and shouldn't know more than IT. So before I send him the Apple User Enrollment & MDM article, I wanted to make sure there wasn't just something I could do on my end.

Thanks -- Nanci

iPhone 5s, iOS 12

Posted on Jun 28, 2024 11:17 AM

3 replies

Jul 1, 2024 2:03 PM in response to nanci211

Given your (understandable) concerns, and given the potential for innocent IT mistakes, consider keeping "theirs" entirely separate from "yours". Keep the corporate data off your private device.

If you have or can scrounge an iPhone 6s or newer or or equivalent iPad that wasn't traded in, maybe use that?

Unfortunately, that iPhone 5s from the footer isn't new enough.

If no iPhone or iPad, you'll be logging in on the web portal and using that.

Details on what you're being asked: https://support.google.com/a/users/answer/3521320?hl=en

Jul 2, 2024 7:59 AM in response to nanci211

Thank you for the input. It clarifies the information I was reading that I interpreted as a way of partitioning my iPhone so that the IT guy could only see the gmail app stuff.

And thank you for pointing out that my discussion group information still shows the 5S. I currently have a 12 mini.

Overall, I will say that Google is intrusive. I can use gmail on my personal laptop to view and download documents from a HIPPA secure email site, but I can't do it on my phone without them wanting to have access to it. Go figure.

Apple User Enrollment & MDM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.