You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Canadian GST Tax Form - Business number?

I am setting up my tax information, and the Canadian tax form GST506 asks for a business number. I am an individual developer residing in Canada looking to have a paid or iAd-supported app on the App Store, and I do not have a business number. Do I need to register for one through the CRA? Will I need to create a business name? I would appreciate any guidance from others who have been through this process on what exactly to do.

iPhone 14 Pro Max, iOS 17

Posted on Jun 25, 2024 9:22 AM

3 replies

Jun 25, 2024 10:30 AM in response to danila147

danila147 wrote:

I am setting up my tax information, and the Canadian tax form GST506 asks for a business number. I am an individual developer residing in Canada looking to have a paid or iAd-supported app on the App Store, and I do not have a business number. Do I need to register for one through the CRA? Will I need to create a business name? I would appreciate any guidance from others who have been through this process on what exactly to do.

This stuff can get complicated very quickly. No one can give you advice because everyone's situation is different and the processes change. So someone else's experience, even if their situation is identical, may have been different two years ago.

Be aware that the scale of fraud right now is mind-blowing, off-the-charts, you-can't-believe-insane. I'm sure you're honest, but fraudsters make an effort to look honest and reputable. Plus they have tons of cash on hand. Do you really want to get mixed up in that?

The easiest option is to just stick with free apps. Be honest with yourself. How much money to do you really expect to earn from this app? Is it going to be enough to pay accountants, lawyers, etc.?

At this point, you should consider your situation to be still learning. So that means it is something that needs time and investment. It isn't a question of how much you can make. It is a question of how much you can afford to pay, both in labour-hours spent learning and coding and in actual cash outlays. Once you've done more research, once you're confident you have apps that could generate real income, and you've saved some money, then you can consider taking the next step.

And if I haven't discouraged you enough so far, remember that the process will be slow. It may take weeks or months just to get your account approved for paid apps, or to get your apps reviewed. Everyone's experience is different. Maybe you'll get things in a few days. Maybe you'll be one that never hears anything for weeks.

Jun 28, 2024 2:50 PM in response to danila147

danila147 wrote:

To be honest, I understood practically nothing of what you wrote about. I just asked how to fill out the form and whether any of the individuals had encountered anything similar.

I'm afraid you've got a long road ahead of you. Try to read my response again. The first two sentences are really all you need. Your accountant and attorney can fill in the blanks (proverbially speaking, at least).

Canadian GST Tax Form - Business number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.