You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am unable to manage a deceased son Apple devices

My son passed away 7/23, he left everything in his WILL to Me, his mother, Apple won’t even let me delete his information on his iPhone and new Mac computer bc I don’t have the credit card shown on his account

[Edited by Moderator]

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 3:51 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2024 6:24 PM

Were you able to provide court documentation?

The article linked by den.thed also says that court documentation may be required. The purpose of this court documentation is to show that the Will is valid and there are many things that a court must consider:

• Was it prepared by an Attorney? This may not be required, but there are many different rules depending on the region or state you live in. There are many places online where you can get templates for a will, but some will have to be notarized or entirely handwritten in the persons handwriting along with witness signatures.
  • Are there multiple wills?
  • Has the Will been recorded with the courts?
  • Is anyone challenging the Will? If someone wants to contest the will, they will file this objection with the courts.

These are not easy matters that Apple can make a determination and must rely on the courts to provide direction. Each State or Region will also have different rules that Apple is not familiar with. I am sorry you are having to go through this as it is always difficult.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 21, 2024 6:24 PM in response to senderella21

Were you able to provide court documentation?

The article linked by den.thed also says that court documentation may be required. The purpose of this court documentation is to show that the Will is valid and there are many things that a court must consider:

• Was it prepared by an Attorney? This may not be required, but there are many different rules depending on the region or state you live in. There are many places online where you can get templates for a will, but some will have to be notarized or entirely handwritten in the persons handwriting along with witness signatures.
  • Are there multiple wills?
  • Has the Will been recorded with the courts?
  • Is anyone challenging the Will? If someone wants to contest the will, they will file this objection with the courts.

These are not easy matters that Apple can make a determination and must rely on the courts to provide direction. Each State or Region will also have different rules that Apple is not familiar with. I am sorry you are having to go through this as it is always difficult.

I am unable to manage a deceased son Apple devices

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.