You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgraded to Catalina - all QT videos now wont work

Hi I have already had 2 lengthy phone calls on this topic with Apple Support. I said to them that in 31 years of using Apple the worst shock I had was finding Apple junked NO WARNING at the upgrade and NO ADVICE. Googling alternatives took me to Elmedia, a very non responsive Company. Elmedia converts mpeg 4 OK but not older QT videos. I have found VLC will produce a distorted version of older QTs but need you to recommend a Convertor app approved by Apple.

Mac mini, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 20, 2024 5:13 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 20, 2024 7:43 AM

Apple doesn’t “approve” or recommend any third party app per se, but us users here might be able to suggest what we think are excellent converter apps.

• I like ff·Works, a GUI for ffmpeg, which can convert about any video or audio to almost any other format.
  • I can also easily recommend HandBrake, a free and easy-to-use converter app (with handy presets), that can take just about any input, and export to .mp4 or .mkv. (I think it is also based on the excellent ffmpeg libraries.) No tinkering required, but you can if you want to.

NO WARNING and NO ADVICE

The end of 32 bit apps for macOS had been announced years in advance, and was heavily publicized.

Googling alternatives took me to Elmedia

That says more about their marketing budget than their quality. It is not on my recommendation list.

Good of you to find this forum, though. Less marketing, more honesty.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 20, 2024 7:43 AM in response to dontupgrade22

Apple doesn’t “approve” or recommend any third party app per se, but us users here might be able to suggest what we think are excellent converter apps.

• I like ff·Works, a GUI for ffmpeg, which can convert about any video or audio to almost any other format.
  • I can also easily recommend HandBrake, a free and easy-to-use converter app (with handy presets), that can take just about any input, and export to .mp4 or .mkv. (I think it is also based on the excellent ffmpeg libraries.) No tinkering required, but you can if you want to.

NO WARNING and NO ADVICE

The end of 32 bit apps for macOS had been announced years in advance, and was heavily publicized.

Googling alternatives took me to Elmedia

That says more about their marketing budget than their quality. It is not on my recommendation list.

Good of you to find this forum, though. Less marketing, more honesty.

Jun 20, 2024 11:30 AM in response to dontupgrade22

It is confusing that the version of QT that works on Mac OS Sonoma is also termed QT 10.5 - only the build code is different.

I agree. They also differ enough to warrant a different version number, imho, even if the differences are in the deeper layers of the framework. But they didn’t ask me.

People will have to specify both OS version and QTP version, else file compatibility is near meaningless.

May I ask you do you think VLC Version 4 when it comes will work on Mac OS Catalina 10.15 please.

Impossible to say. Even VLC themselves might not know at this time. I suppose they will offer support as far back as can easily be done in their software development; that is in their best interest. Alternatively, often older versions stay available for who needs that for their older systems.

Jun 20, 2024 8:21 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Hi Thank you - that is such a useful set of advice. Very grateful. I have downloaded Handbrake and will try and see if that can sort the distorted QT > VLC files. Apologies about my not hearing about Quicktime's abolition but I am a writer, avoid upgrading unless necessary and don't have time to keep up with industry alerts. It is confusing that the version of QT that works on Mac OS Sonoma is also termed QT 10.5 - only the build code is different. Your comments re Elmedia were also helpful - I have sent them three emails and only got an acknowledgement for one. May I ask you do you think VLC Version 4 when it comes will work on Mac OS Catalina 10.15 please. Many thanks again Anton

Upgraded to Catalina - all QT videos now wont work

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.