You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to create a new folder on desktop without including existing folders

when I create a new folder all of my desk top folders show up in the new folder. I never had this happen before. I would like my new folder that I am creating for the desktop not to contain all the desktop folders show up in the new folder.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jun 17, 2024 3:51 PM

2 replies

Jun 27, 2024 8:05 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Open the folder named Desktop in list view.

Next, without choosing anything inside the Desktop folder, choose 'New Folder' from the File menu, and give it a name.

A very ordinary and EMPTY folder should be created in the Desktop folder, which should appear in the Desktop presentation behind all other windows within a second or two.

Jun 27, 2024 7:59 AM in response to QandA24

I don't know what is wrong, but there are other ways to look at Desktop that may not have the same problem.

Desktop is a magic folder whose contents are normally sprayed across the work-surface behind other applications. But it in other respects, it is a folder like any other.

Staring at top level of your Volume, look at your user directory in LIST view:

Unable to create a new folder on desktop without including existing folders

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.