You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem connecting to the server

I have a NAS hardwired to my network, which includes my iMac.

I recently had to reinstall the NAS software and renamed the NAS at the same time, which in hindsight probably wasn't such a good idea.

Everything works as it should, but occasionally I get this error:

This is the 'old' name, so what do I need to do to stop my iMac from trying to connect to it? It connects to the 'new' one perfectly.

Thank you.

Posted on Jun 4, 2024 12:04 AM

7 replies

Jun 8, 2024 11:26 AM in response to kaz-k

Router is brand new from the broadband provider, although I appreciate that means nothing!

I've had issues with my broadband dropping regularly since I started with my current provider about 2 months ago, and they've been out to test external and internal wiring and the router, so it should be OK.

I can pin down when it happens, though:

When I connect my iPhone via USB Photos opens and, if there are any new images, I'll import them into Photos and delete them from my iPhone. Easy.

A minute or so later, the pop-up appears.

I spoke with Apple Support about this, and they don't understand it either - even though they've watched it happen when screen sharing.

They told me to ask Synology..!

Jun 9, 2024 12:34 PM in response to Nightowl4933

Sorry, I thought I'd replied earlier...

I've determined what's causing this issue, but I can't find a solution - even with help from Apple Support.

Essentially, what is happening is the only time (so far) I get the pop-up is shortly after I connect my iPhone to my iMac using a USB cable.

Photos starts up (as I've set it to do) and, even if I do nothing else, I get the pop-up about a minute later:

This happens every time and, to be clear, this is the serve name of the NAS before I reinstalled DSM and renamed it.

Thank you.

Problem connecting to the server

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.