You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Quicktime Screen Recording Not in Mono

I am trying to screen record through Quicktime using my Shure sm7b microphone which is connected to my Focusrite.

When I listen to my recording, the audio is only coming out of 1 speaker.

I have already tried to configure the settings on the Focusrite control panel and there's no setting to record in Mono... There also isn't a setting to record in mono via quicktime.. Further, there's no setting in Mac sound settings to record in mono.

Help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 2, 2024 9:37 AM

3 replies

Jun 11, 2024 6:47 AM in response to realestateschool

A workaround (for listening):

System Preferences -> Accessibility > Audio > Play stereo audio as mono

Remember to disable it after your specific use to avoid unwanted forced mono listening.

Another solution (for recording) would be to create a virtual audio device splitting the real audio input in Left and Right through a third party app like Loopback or Blackhole.

Jun 11, 2024 7:56 AM in response to realestateschool

The listening workaround works only locally. A shared file would still remain with the right channel muted.

The recording via the virtual device would instead produce a real mono file with both channels active (identical), ready to be shared.

Another option – more ”time consuming” – would be to open the recorded file in an audio editor, copy the left channel and paste it to the right one and export the new audio file containing both channels active.

Quicktime Screen Recording Not in Mono

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.