You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lost a screen record of more than an hour

I recorded my screen during a zoom call and made sure it goes to my downloads folder. The recording lasted more than an hour (probably an hourd and 20 minutes) and when I stopped it the thumbnail appeared on the bottom right corner and I made sure to scroll the thumbnail to the right.

The thumbnail disappeared right away but I can not find my recording! Does it take time to appear on the folder ? Or is it gone?

Thank you

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 14.5

Posted on May 31, 2024 3:04 AM

1 reply

May 31, 2024 5:44 AM in response to hatim179

I have seen issues when others (and myself) that when interacting with the "floating thumbnail" it can cause the recording to disappear, never to be found again. that is why I personally ALWAYS leave "show floating thumbnail" disabled. it appears as though you need to wait until the video reaches it's "save to" location before attempting to interact with it.

and also, what location are you using as your "save to" location? I have, in the past, encountered issues with longer recordings stopping / not saving unexpectedly whenever I have selected anything other than "desktop" as my "save to" location. this has been especially true when "save to" is set to an external drive. so I now use "desktop" as my "save to" every time and afterwards I move them to my desired location manually. I haven't had an issue since.

Lost a screen record of more than an hour

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.