You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GarageBand has stopped recording properly from any of the mic options

Hi there,

I have a strange issue with Garage Band, it has stopped recording properly from any of the mic options.

I have a MacBook Air. Chip Apple M1 Memory is 16GB, running on Sonoma 14.1.2

I always use a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 to run my mics into. When I try to record guitar or vocals like I usually do there are very few sound waves, and only some partial muffled sounds from the guitar and vocals are picked up, they sound quite "bitty" and distorted.

I've tried the other mic options, the external mic of my laptop picks up does not work correctly and the mac book air microphone does not work correctly.

I have tested the Scarlett 2i2 using the free recording software Audacity and also Abelton Live and it works fine so the Focusrtie is not the the issue.

I have uninstalled and re installed Garage band but still have the same issue.

Any suggestions?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 7:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 3, 2024 8:43 PM

Hey,

I just fixed the issue, feel like a bit of an idiot but on the mac menu bar in the top right of my screen there is a microphone icon with an orange background it was set to "voice isolation" -when I selected the other option "Standard" it worked!!!

Similar questions

2 replies

Jul 16, 2024 5:52 AM in response to LindsayGraydon

WOW. LindsayGraydon, You are a genius! Not only for trying the button but for helping by posting what you found. You just saved me from despairing and spending money for something else! Thank you! As soon as I turned off 'voice isolation' in the toolbar orange microphone icon, GarageBand easily recorded both microphone tracks from my Scarlett 2i2 simultaneously! Thank you again. And why doesn't this information show up in Apple's directions as a note? The GarageBand manual they pushed me to for answers did not mention this that I could find. If you had not posted this, I would never have known.

GarageBand has stopped recording properly from any of the mic options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.