You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to retrieve deleted files from emptied bin on iMac

I have recently deleted some files from my mac book and emptied the bin, how can i recover the deleted files

[Re-Titled By Moderator]

iMac Pro (2017)

Posted on Mar 17, 2024 4:22 AM

3 replies

Mar 17, 2024 4:30 AM in response to kaled178

Obvious first step: restore from a back up?

If not: stop using your computer. The more you use it the greater the risk of the deleted files being overwritten and made unrecoverable.

You'll need to download a file recovery app. There are lots. Mostly they'll scan the drive and tell you what is recoverable, but actual recovery will mean a purchase.

Mar 17, 2024 7:17 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There is no hope of recovering deleted data from an SSD drive.

On an SSD drive, the drive controller will TRIM the deleted data, group the freed blocks into SuperBlocks, discarding their block numbers, and erase those SuperBlocks to be ready for new data. All in less than a second.

---------

On a Rotating Magnetic Drive, block numbers are fixed, and the deleted data are not written over. Only the directory is changed, and the block numbers are added to the FreeList for later re-use. In this case a data recovery tool MIGHT be helpful. But the more you write to the drive, the more likely some portion of your data blocks will be re-used for new data.

How to retrieve deleted files from emptied bin on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.