You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro running Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71) freezing when external monitor is connected when Quicktime file is launched

Whenever I connect my LG external monitor to my Macbook Pro running Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71) and launch a Quicktime file, the machine freezes and eventually restarts. Most times I lose my work. I'm a video editor using Adobe prodcuts most times twhen this happens.

MacBook Pro, OS X 10.11

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 7:47 AM

1 reply

Mar 8, 2024 10:09 AM in response to AVGRPHX

Try this:

Settings > Desktop and Dock > Click wallpaper to reveal desktop: "Only in stage manager"

Settings > Desktop and Dock > Stage Manager: OFF

macOS Sonoma crashes when using QuickTime… - Apple Community

Quit Quicktime Player, and try if moving these folders to the Desktop folder (just in case before deleting them) helps:

~/Library/Containers/QuickTime Player

~/Library/Containers/com.apple.QuickTimePlayerX/Data

If not, try to make a dummy user and see if Quicktime Player works in that account.

IINA is a good simple player for the codecs and wrappers that QuickTime Player does not support (H.265 with Codec ID hev1, Chroma subsampling 4:2:2 (Bit depth 10 bits) in Mojave, VP8, VP9, Opus audio (now works in Sonoma), Vorbis audio, .avi, .mkv, .webm).

https://iina.io

Macbook Pro running Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71) freezing when external monitor is connected when Quicktime file is launched

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.