You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

💡 Did you know?

General and ongoing cleaning can help you maintain your AirPods or AirPods Pro.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I know if AirPods serial number is real?

Looking to purchase a set of pods and serial number is kx***cdw but on certain site it says 4th character is always a letter, could these be fake?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Feb 27, 2024 10:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2024 9:53 PM

To verify the authenticity of your AirPods using the serial number, you can use Apple's official service and support coverage checker. Here's how you can do it:

1. Locate the serial number of your AirPods, which can be found on the original packaging, or if they are connected to your iOS device, go to Settings > General > About and tap on your AirPods.

2. Visit Apple's Check Your Service and Support Coverage page.

3. Enter the serial number in the provided field and proceed with the verification.

If the serial number is recognized and the details match your AirPods model, then they are likely authentic. Remember that the serial number is a crucial piece of information for verifying the authenticity of Apple products. If the site does not recognize the serial number or if the details don't match, it's possible that the AirPods could be counterfeit.

Additionally, be cautious of the fourth character in the serial number. While there's a claim that it should always be a letter, this might not be a definitive rule for authenticity. The best course of action is to use the official Apple verification method as described above.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 27, 2024 9:53 PM in response to beecjay51

To verify the authenticity of your AirPods using the serial number, you can use Apple's official service and support coverage checker. Here's how you can do it:

1. Locate the serial number of your AirPods, which can be found on the original packaging, or if they are connected to your iOS device, go to Settings > General > About and tap on your AirPods.

2. Visit Apple's Check Your Service and Support Coverage page.

3. Enter the serial number in the provided field and proceed with the verification.

If the serial number is recognized and the details match your AirPods model, then they are likely authentic. Remember that the serial number is a crucial piece of information for verifying the authenticity of Apple products. If the site does not recognize the serial number or if the details don't match, it's possible that the AirPods could be counterfeit.

Additionally, be cautious of the fourth character in the serial number. While there's a claim that it should always be a letter, this might not be a definitive rule for authenticity. The best course of action is to use the official Apple verification method as described above.

Feb 27, 2024 10:25 PM in response to beecjay51

I strongly recommended buying AirPods directly from Apple to ensure their authenticity. In some rare cases, counterfeit AirPods can pass every test for authenticity with the exception of excepting new firmware updates from Apple.

If you insist on buying used, assessing the seller's reliability and the product's history is key. It's understandable to be wary of offers that seem too good to be true, like brand new products at significantly reduced prices.

Best of luck to you.

Feb 27, 2024 10:13 PM in response to BrotherEye

Thanks BrotherEye for your detailed reply.I have used the service and support coverage site and it gave positive information but I have read so much about serials being copied that I wasnt confident about the result.I guess buying used secondhand has less risk if you can get good history about the pods and try to judge the seller.Avoid new opened not used types at reduced price,received as gift etc these offers just smack of something not right.

Not rushing into purchase but fingers crossed i can source a set soon.

How do I know if AirPods serial number is real?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.