You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No search in Journal app

There is no ability to search in the Journal app. At first I thought this was inattentional blindness by Apple and would be rapidly included in an update. Alas approaching end Jan 24 still no search. Am I missing something, apart from search, or would I be better just journaling in Notes?

iPhone 14 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 27, 2024 3:21 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2024 5:43 PM

Yes, it absolutely sucks not to have a search function in Journal. The App is clean and easy to use, but no search is really a bummer 😤. I am creating so many items in the Journal hoping Apple will release the functionality soon.

12 replies

Apr 22, 2024 2:52 AM in response to daanieela

Whether you search your journal once in a blue moon or all the time, search is useful, and having it there does not detract from the digital journalling process. It must be intentional that the search isn't there because it is such an obvious omission by Apple. Why hasn't it been added in subsequent updates if it has just been' missed'? I'd love to hear the rationale from Apple regarding the extremely limited functionality of their journal app.

Apr 22, 2024 2:46 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I agree to an extent and myself rarely have cause to search my journalling, but from time to time I do, and when that happens it is because I want to find something from way, way back. So manual search isn't an option. Adding search can only be a positive development, even if users need it rarely. I have now moved to Day One, that I find fantastic, most notably as it has MacOS, & iPad apps and iCloud Sync. I havn't looked back since I started using it and glad I didn't wait for improvements in iOS Journal App, because I'd still be waiting.

Apr 19, 2024 10:53 AM in response to daanieela

daanieela wrote:

The point of making it digital and not journaling on paper is to be able to easily search of old thoughts, entries and memories too, not only to be able to add pictures and videos.

Not everyone uses digital journals for the same reasons. I rarely have cause to use search in my journals. Search functions have absolutely nothing to do with why I keep my journal digitially rather than on paper.

You can let Apple know your thoghts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

Meanwhile, there are lots of other, much better journaling apps out there. My favorite is Day One. I've been using it for more than a decade.

Jun 12, 2024 9:18 AM in response to Lynnettepgh

Lynnettepgh wrote:

I wonder if I can export my Journal entries to Day One.

Not at this time.

I used to use that app, got out of the habit of journalling and started up again using Journal. I like to track what I served for dinner guests so I don't serve it again, where we went with visitors so we don't repeat, etc. Search would be so helpful!!

At this time, I can't see any good reason to switch from DayOne to Journal.

You can let Apple know what you'd like to see in the future here:

Product Feedback - Apple

No search in Journal app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.