You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Messages older than 30 days are not deleted

In Messages, choose Settings, then General tab, then change Keep Messages from Forever to 30 Days. A popup appears saying: Delete Older Messages? This will permanently delete all text messages and message attachments from your device that are olde than 30 days. I choose Delete. But when I look at Messages on my iMac Pro desktop, I still see lots that are older than 30 days. Interestingly the messages older than 30 days have been deleted from associated iPhones and iPad. I did try restarting iMac but did not help.

iMac OS Sonoma 14.2.1 (23C71)

iMac Pro

Posted on Jan 14, 2024 11:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 5, 2024 9:23 AM

Selected 30 days in the iPhone settings to delete all messages, but they have not been deleted. Why?

20 replies

Sep 21, 2024 1:47 PM in response to AlWeir

On iCloud it says that I have 7500 messages and I just synced now and the setting is to delete after 30 days. So it’s not working on any of the platforms my iPhone my iPad or iCloud. They all say delete after 30 days. I find settings in Apple devices to be incredibly confusing and hard to use. So in order to manage storage, I am required to manually delete 7500 messages. That’s nuts.

Oct 16, 2024 8:38 PM in response to Buffalo_Wings

I switched to 1 year and then 30 days on my iMac, not my iPhone. I would have expected iPhone to work the same but since I was already on the Mac I used it and the iPhone updated immediately.

If I only had an iPhone and this did not work I might try rebooting it and then trying.

It drives me nuts how Apple makes it difficult to free up storage. Why do I have to select all photos to delete them rather than a simple "delete all" function? Why do these games have to be played to free up messages space?

Sep 21, 2024 11:40 AM in response to HeartsDelight

They way I understand it, is that you have to stop using you Messages on all your devices by turning iMessage on mobile or Messages on Macs from using iCloud for 28 days. If I am incorrect on this assumption please correct me. It would be a good idea if Apple gave the people the option to delete them on iCloud, even if meant having to enter a different passcode to do so.

Messages older than 30 days are not deleted

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.