You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail account defaults to POP instead of Imap

Setting up my wife’s new iPad. Main email account only goes in as a POP account. Same account is IMAP on our two iPhones and my IPad.

There is nowhere to select IMAP. What do I need to do?

iPad (9th generation)

Posted on Dec 27, 2023 4:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 31, 2023 11:22 AM

If this happens to anyone else, put the new email in the "add account" section, but use an incorrect password. The account won't process correctly and you can then select IMAP, put the correct inbound and outbound server addresses, correct the password and all is well.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 31, 2023 11:22 AM in response to 174MR

If this happens to anyone else, put the new email in the "add account" section, but use an incorrect password. The account won't process correctly and you can then select IMAP, put the correct inbound and outbound server addresses, correct the password and all is well.

Jan 7, 2024 2:40 AM in response to 174MR

Thanks! This trick worked for me . Somehow my service provider must be having issues with their email parameters and when we delete and readd the accounts to solve syncing issues mail accounts reverts to pop3. Typing wrong password allowed me to enter the imap information manually and solved my syncing issues .

Jun 14, 2024 11:36 AM in response to 174MR

this has just happened to me on my imac - the gmail account has been set up for about 3 years - to transfer (Imap)all incoming emails emails to apple mail - suddenly it defaulted to POP - apple mail client shows: "The mail server denied access to the user specified in Mail preferences because of a serious system error. Verify the settings for account “admin@justus.group”. If necessary, contact your service provider to resolve the problem.

The server returned the error: Your account is not enabled for POP access. Please visit your Gmail settings page and enable your account for POP access." AND suddenly - the apple mail client account has been flooded with almost 2000 old emails -- HELP!

Mail account defaults to POP instead of Imap

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.