You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Add ringtone to iPhone/iTunes

I have an iPhone 14 Pro Max Plus with current iOs 17.2 and iTunes 12.13.0.9 on my Windows 11 PC. I also have a family subscription to Apple Music.

I created some ringtones and would like to add them to my iPhone and in the past, I used to be able to add the ringtone to my iTunes and then it would sync to my iPhone, but now I receive an error that the file cannot be copied to my iPhone because iCloud Music Library is enabled on the iPhone.

I was going to turn off Sync Library in order to transfer the ringtones, but receive a message that I will lose my songs through Apple Music.

If I turn off Sync Library, transfer my ringtones and then turn Sync Library back on, will my songs automatically sync back with my library? My iPhone is backed up in the iCloud and my music is backed up on my PC. If my music library was not as huge as it is, I would gamble and turn off the Sync.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Windows, Windows 10

Posted on Dec 13, 2023 6:43 PM

Similar questions

4 replies

Dec 30, 2023 1:09 PM in response to Lisa GTO

These are the relevant instructions for Windows users from the user tip:

Add ringtone to device, iTunes 12.7 or later

1. Connect device to computer.
  2. Enable the sidebar in iTunes if hidden.
  3. Drag & drop * or copy & paste the ringtone from Windows Explorer onto the device where it appears in the iTunes sidebar.

* Some Windows users have noted that this method fails if they are running iTunes as the administrator. In some cases it may be necessary to exit the BTTray.exe utility, if present, before iTunes can be launched in non-admin mode.

No syncing is required. You don't need to change the Sync Library setting on the device.

tt2

Dec 30, 2023 11:37 AM in response to turingtest2

I have already created the ringtones, but my problem is getting them on my iPhone because my iPhone is synced to iCloud music library. If I turn off the sync to add the ringtones, will I lose the music that I have synced to my phone?

If I turn off Sync Library, transfer my ringtones and then turn Sync Library back on, will my songs automatically sync back with my library? My iPhone is backed up in the iCloud and my music is backed up on my PC. If my music library was not as huge as it is, I would gamble and turn off the Sync

Add ringtone to iPhone/iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.