You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

How do I delete Purgeable Space on a Mac?

How do I delete the Purgeable Space on Mac OS?

Mac Studio, macOS 14.1

Posted on Dec 12, 2023 10:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 4, 2024 1:36 PM

Hello,

my problem is similar, 180 gb available but 165 purgeable resulting in 15 free

when trying to install a newer version of Mac OS >> not enough free space.

And deleting large file doesn’t do anything.

i backed up my music library 50 gb. (Trashed it & empty the trash) It just increased both values but free space remain 15.

the purge didn’t change anything

thx for your help.

22 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 4, 2024 1:36 PM in response to VikingOSX

Hello,

my problem is similar, 180 gb available but 165 purgeable resulting in 15 free

when trying to install a newer version of Mac OS >> not enough free space.

And deleting large file doesn’t do anything.

i backed up my music library 50 gb. (Trashed it & empty the trash) It just increased both values but free space remain 15.

the purge didn’t change anything

thx for your help.

Dec 12, 2023 10:40 AM in response to Randalls-MacPro

In the Terminal application, you can run the purge command which forces disk cache to be flushed and emptied. I would reserve this to a time when you have no open documents or running user applications:

sudo purge
Password:

Enter the administrator password. Nothing will echo to the screen. I do not run this very often as the operating system is quite capable of managing itself.

Oct 12, 2024 5:38 PM in response to Randalls-MacPro

The purgeable space mostly consists of local snapshots of Time Machine, and also caches, sleep images, swap files and other temporary system files.

To DELETE:

1. Open Terminal from the Applications folder > Utilities.
  2. Enter this command and press Enter to list all backup snapshots on your Mac:
  3. tmutil listlocalsnapshots /
  4. If you don't have local snapshots, jump to the other solution below.
  5. Run the following command to delete a chosen local snapshot.
  6. sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots 2021-06-26-123740
  7.  You need to replace 2021-06-26-123740 with the date and timestamp of the snapshot you want to delete.
  8. Enter your account password and hit Enter.

Sep 26, 2024 5:13 PM in response to Randalls-MacPro

hi just went thru this issue for a small MacBook needing >16gb to upgrade the OS, with 41gb available and 25gb purgeable, for whatever reason the OS upgrade doesn't trigger a purge. This solution in the Apple dev forum from 'dotster' provides steps to create very large file(s) of random stuff, this ran and sent the disk info bonkers and eventually this suddenly dumped the purgeable space from 25gb to 400mb; deleted the files to fully reclaim the available space and was able to comfortably proceed with the upgrade and the rest of my life with this mac.

Purgeable Space Problems | Apple Developer Forums 

I had also done some other stuff before forcing the purge with not much impact - turned off cloud photo sync I didn't need and purged some other cache and cloud files I didn't need which should have freed up several gb but didn't do anything to the available space for some reason. Also turned off auto backup on TM advised somewhere. Following this whole process and OS upgrade, I am left with 48gb available and only 19mb purgeable.

Oct 12, 2024 5:41 PM in response to soniksaint

1. If you decide to delete all local snapshots at once, run this command:
  2. for d in $(tmutil listlocalsnapshotdates | grep "-"); do sudo tmutil deletelocalsnapshots $d; done

If deleting Time Machine local snapshots didn't help you reclaim much free space, try the method below.

A more efficient way to delete purgeable space on Mac is by making a file that grows until the disk is full and then deleting the file. It's worth mentioning that previous attempts to create an empty file and then duplicate the file until it uses up your Mac's free space to force your operating system to clear purgeable space to store the file no longer works with APFS. 

How to purge Mac hard drive with command lines:

1. Open Terminal from the Applications folder > Utilities.
  2. Type in the following command and hit Enter.
  3. dd if=/dev/zero bs=100m of=~/Test
  4. This command will create a file named Test that is filled with zeros in your Home directory. The file will grow fast initially and slow down when it's close to full. You will receive notifications warning you, "Your disk is almost full." Just ignore it because it will keep popping up until your disk is completely full.
  5.  When you see the message "No space left on device," execute another command to permanently delete the file.
  6. rm -rf ~/Test

Dec 12, 2023 12:58 PM in response to Randalls-MacPro

The purge command resets disk cache the same as a reboot would do. I wouldn't spend any more mental time on wondering what Disk Utility is reporting and just let macOS take care of that for you.

I am on my Mac from early morning to late at night and I never care about any purgeable storage, or even run Disk Utility for that matter.

Jul 1, 2024 12:59 AM in response to Randalls-MacPro

After trying all the suggestions I could find online (none of them worked for me). I sucessfully increased my 'free' space from 14gb to over 100gb by adding volumes on my Macintosh HD drive using disk utility. I would fill these volumes by copying large folders (roughly 80gb) from elsewhere on my mac and then delete remove/delete the volume. Every time I did this my free space increased.

As many others suggest your mac keeps files in this available space for other purposes (I think in my case it was for Google Drive but Im not sure). Then when it needs the space it wipes the secretly saved files. When you then delete the volume it leaves that space as 'free' for you.

I couldnt delete the snapshots as others have even though it did list one snapshot in disk utility.

My issue was linked to installing Native Instruments libraries which uses an installer called Native Access which assesses the available space on your mac from the 'free' space that you can see in disk utility.

Lost about 5 valuable hours on this issue. Im frustrated with Native Instruments not apple. I presume Apple is trying to speed up or make more efficient your future actions as opposed to increase profits (as others suggest on forums).

Anyway I really hope this posst can help others save many, many hours!

Thanks

Aug 13, 2024 5:58 PM in response to Randalls-MacPro

I am also having grief with purgeable space on my MacBook Pro. I am running Sonoma 14.6.1.

I have run sudo purge from a terminal and no relief. I have rebooted and shutdown an restarted multiple times.

I know that the purgeable space is some video files that I have edited and copied back to my NAS the moved them to trash and emptied the trash. I feel that when I empty the trash the filed should be deleted and the space recovered.

I even tried running first aid in the disk utility and still the purgeable space remains.

How do I delete Purgeable Space on a Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.