You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

which cable to use to connect two thunderbolt4 Mac book pros

I need to transfer some files from my 2015 MacBook Pro to my 2020 MacBook Pro. Which cable would I need to do that? Thank you.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.7

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 4:15 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 30, 2023 4:38 PM

It might make more sense to buy a USB 3 flash drive, hard drive, or SSD, and use that to move the files.

Just the other week, for instance, a local store had credit-card-sized 1 TB SSDs on sale for ~$60. USB flash drives with 32 – 128 GB of storage can go for under $20 on sale.

With the Thunderbolt adapters and cabling, if you only use those once, you might be kicking yourself for spending $80 for that one-time transfer.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 30, 2023 4:38 PM in response to hecat65

It might make more sense to buy a USB 3 flash drive, hard drive, or SSD, and use that to move the files.

Just the other week, for instance, a local store had credit-card-sized 1 TB SSDs on sale for ~$60. USB flash drives with 32 – 128 GB of storage can go for under $20 on sale.

With the Thunderbolt adapters and cabling, if you only use those once, you might be kicking yourself for spending $80 for that one-time transfer.

Nov 30, 2023 4:25 PM in response to hecat65

2015 MacBook Pros have Thunderbolt 2 ports. Those used Mini DisplayPort connectors. Thunderbolt 3 and 4 live on USB-C connectors.

So if you were trying to make a Thunderbolt connection – to use Thunderbolt Target Disk Mode, or to set up an IP-over-Thunderbolt network (Thunderbolt Bridge) and do network file sharing over that, you would need roughly $80 in Thunderbolt connection hardware:

• Apple Thunderbolt 3-to-2 adapter ($50)
  • Thunderbolt 1/2 cable ($30?)

which cable to use to connect two thunderbolt4 Mac book pros

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.