You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Export video frame to pictures not available

I have selected the frame to Export and clicked on File/Export. However, the option to Export Frame to Pictures is greyed out. I have done this in the past, so I know how to do it. But the option isn't available. I have OS Monterey 12.7.1.

MacBook Pro (2021)

Posted on Nov 25, 2023 9:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Apr 2, 2024 5:41 PM

@benjaminfromlogan Found them. It saves the image files to the Pictures folder, just like it says, haha. So Users > *User Name* > Pictures. Odd that there isn't an option to immediately move the frame to your Photos Library.

Similar questions

15 replies

Feb 5, 2024 12:51 PM in response to Bridgforth

Thought I had a fix! I enabled the “Export frame to pictures” menu selection by getting OUT of edit mode. BUT it doesn’t do anything. I make the menu selection but nothing happens and I don’t see any corresponding photo. Nor does an expected dialog box appear. Such a tease! FYI - the other menu selections noted in my earlier post remained disabled.

Nov 25, 2023 10:28 AM in response to Bridgforth

What is the file format of the video?

I am having the same problem for some of my videos on macOS 14 Sonoma.

The command "File > Export > Export Fram to Pictures" is working for my videos in mp4 format with the H.264 codec, but not for my Quicktime videos, .MOV, encoded with HEVC from my new Phone. I am using iCloud Photos, but that should not be a problem, as I am not using "Optimize Mac Storage" and all videos should have been be downloaded from iCloud and locally available.

Jan 11, 2024 12:50 PM in response to Bridgforth

Thank you to all who replied. For some reason, it is now working. Maybe a recent Mac software update? Because of Richard.Taylor's reply, I tried to export from the thumbnail which did not work. However, export from a frame did. (I'm sure I tried from a frame before; I can't imagine how exporting a video frame from a thumbnail would work.)

BTW, the link "view the full discussion" in the emails notifying me of a reply did not work. I could not find the original thread of discussion until I clicked on "Helpful." Go figure.

Feb 5, 2024 12:39 PM in response to Bridgforth

I am trying to grab a photo from a video. While in edit mode, “Export frame to pictures”, “Export GIF”, “Export slideshow”, and “Export memory video” menu selections are all disabled under File > Export. The video was imported from iCloud, and taken by an iPhone 11, 1080x1920, HEVC format. I’m editing on a MacBook Air M1 2020, Sonoma 14.2.1.

Export video frame to pictures not available

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.