You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

File names not checked on rendering

Hello

Since a few days now, when I render a file in Motion and give it an already taken name in the destination folder, Motion doesn't ask me anymore if I want to override the previous file and overrides it anyway. Is this due to my Motion 's specs (I may have changed unaware) or is it linked to system preferences ?

Thank you very much.

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 4:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 16, 2023 11:33 PM

By "render", I suppose you mean "export". Can you give the exact details of how you are exporting?

I don't think that it is up to Motion, anyway, it should be a system thing; but still, it may help if you delete Motion preferences. Just like with FCP, you can delete preferences by starting Motion while holding down Command and Option. Let us know if it changes anything.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 16, 2023 11:33 PM in response to joelle184

By "render", I suppose you mean "export". Can you give the exact details of how you are exporting?

I don't think that it is up to Motion, anyway, it should be a system thing; but still, it may help if you delete Motion preferences. Just like with FCP, you can delete preferences by starting Motion while holding down Command and Option. Let us know if it changes anything.

Nov 17, 2023 10:34 PM in response to joelle184

It’s not normal to overwrite an existing file without warning… I just remembered that in Compressor it does overwrite if you export a file with the same name; but it will show a yellow triangular warning ⚠️ sign in the export window, so it’s not completely silent. I will have to check to see if the same thing is happening in Motion, but only later today (away from my mac at the moment).

Nov 19, 2023 8:11 PM in response to Luis Sequeira1

OK, so deleting preferences didn't do anything. Problem still there. I notice that a com.apple.motionapp.plist gets normally recreated but another one called com.apple.motionapp.UserDestinations3.plist gets recreated too, and I don't know what that thing is...

Another problem I noticed lately: when a rendering is finished, the alert appears in the top right corner of my screen but clicking on it doesn't open the destination folder as it used to. It now does nothing.

So what's the next step? Reinstalling I guess ?

Hint: My current version is Motion 5.4.7 on 10.14.6 and I think it is the ultimate version for this OS...

TY

Nov 19, 2023 11:19 PM in response to joelle184

A file such as com.apple.motionapp.UserDestinations3.plist

(with possibly a different number instead of 3) is related to the export Destinations that you can select in Motion (just like you can in FCP). That is perfectly normal.

You can try moving this file aside (put it on your Desktop temporarily, for example), and start Motion. Test. If you have created custom "destinations", they will not appear when exporting. See if the problem disappears. If it goes away, recreate the desired destinations. If there is no change, you can quit Motion and move that file back.

I am running 5.6.7 on Sonoma and do not have a mac running Mojave, so I can't say if the specific version has a problem.

Dec 27, 2023 8:37 AM in response to joelle184

When exporting "Current Frame" you get a .jpg file (for JPEG). Some apps write it as .jpeg and some put them in upper case. These are all viewed as different files by macOS. So even if the name portion of the file is the same, if the suffix is different, to macOS, they're different files. I've tested this extensively, because I swore Pixelmator Pro was doing this same thing at one time. Then I saw the suffixes were different, and that solved that. Maybe this isn't your issue.

I remember Mojave, and yes, it always had a but when you click Show File, that it wouldn't. Used to drive me nuts.

But Luis is correct, file naming and duplicate file names are handled by macOS, not Motion. Motion is simply making system calls to do the work for it. So the issues is in Mojave, not Motion.

File names not checked on rendering

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.