You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine Backups

My AirPort base station / Time Capsule is at end-of-life and I need another backup option that's NOT in the cloud. I have a 2021 iMac M1 as well as an older MacBook that need backups. I'm currently manually backing up with a Lacie USB-C 2TB SSD. Is there a way to configure this so that both the iMac and MacBook can back up to the Lacie as seamlessly as they did with the Time Capsule or am I stuck getting a plain old NAS device?

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 1:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 7:19 PM

Is there a way to configure this so that both the iMac and MacBook can back up to the Lacie as seamlessly as they did with the Time Capsule

Sorry, but no.

or am I stuck getting a plain old NAS device?

That is one option.

Another option.......if you are also looking for a new Wi-Fi router......would be the Synology router or one of the upper end Asus routers. These products support Time Machine backups to a hard drive connected to the USB port on the back of the router, so you can back up your Macs over the Wi-Fi network.....or.....connect the Macs directly to the router using an Ethernet connection.

The down and dirty option......Pick up an AirPort Extreme for $50-75 from Ebay and don't use it as a Wi-Fi router at all. Connect it to your existing router using an Ethernet connection and then connect the Lacie drive to the USB port on the back of the AirPort Extreme. The Macs can back up over your existing router's Wi-Fi network.

Backups will be slow with this option because the AirPort Extreme's USB port is USB 2.0.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 8, 2023 7:19 PM in response to PAJT

Is there a way to configure this so that both the iMac and MacBook can back up to the Lacie as seamlessly as they did with the Time Capsule

Sorry, but no.

or am I stuck getting a plain old NAS device?

That is one option.

Another option.......if you are also looking for a new Wi-Fi router......would be the Synology router or one of the upper end Asus routers. These products support Time Machine backups to a hard drive connected to the USB port on the back of the router, so you can back up your Macs over the Wi-Fi network.....or.....connect the Macs directly to the router using an Ethernet connection.

The down and dirty option......Pick up an AirPort Extreme for $50-75 from Ebay and don't use it as a Wi-Fi router at all. Connect it to your existing router using an Ethernet connection and then connect the Lacie drive to the USB port on the back of the AirPort Extreme. The Macs can back up over your existing router's Wi-Fi network.

Backups will be slow with this option because the AirPort Extreme's USB port is USB 2.0.

Time Machine Backups

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.