You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OS Update stuck on "Less than a minute remaining..."

I'm updating from Catalina to Monterey upon a Mac Mini 2014 (Late) device, it's reached the final stage but appears to be stuck now on the message "Less than a minute remaining..."

Anyone else seen this ?

Should I just leave it be, or power-cycle the box ? And can I recover in that case ?

I have another Mac Mini upgraded to Monterey without any issues - that that uses an SSD rather than M.2 adapter.

Also, the unit is becoming rather .. hot to touch.

Mac mini

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 6:22 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2023 7:18 AM

I gave up. Placed a Fan upon the box, and power-cycled the box. After restarting it launched into the Installation process and once again seems hung up on the "Less than a minute remaining..." prompt, at least this time, with the Fan blowing air over the casing it's not so hot to touch. After a while, the system went through a series of reboots, and now has completed the installation of the updated OS.... "Phew !"

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 8, 2023 7:18 AM in response to svaardt

I gave up. Placed a Fan upon the box, and power-cycled the box. After restarting it launched into the Installation process and once again seems hung up on the "Less than a minute remaining..." prompt, at least this time, with the Fan blowing air over the casing it's not so hot to touch. After a while, the system went through a series of reboots, and now has completed the installation of the updated OS.... "Phew !"

OS Update stuck on "Less than a minute remaining..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.