You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Streaming music on Cellular watch without iPhone

I don't want to carry iPhone while running or cycling . How can I stream or download music (Spotify, YT music or Apple Music) using Apple Watch (series 8 cellular running on watchOS 10.1) and AirPods Pro 2nd generation. The music runs only through iPhone, what is the point of buying an expensive cellular version.

Posted on Nov 3, 2023 6:13 PM

7 replies

Nov 3, 2023 11:55 PM in response to Axel Foley

Hey Axel , Thanks for replying. Whenever I leave my iPhone at home and go for running the music stops playing through Apple Watch and there is no sign in the Spotify app or anywhere where it would show any option to play via some different device. It actually prompt me to bring my phone closer, even when the cellular is already working.

Nov 4, 2023 8:03 AM in response to prinzehl

1. Ensure that you have the latest version of Spotify app installed on your iPhone and Apple Watch.
  2. Ensure that you initiate PLAY from your Apple Watch Spotify app (not on the iPhone) when the iPhone is not in range.
  3. If the above does not work then, On your Apple Watch - Try and Force ReStart your Apple Watch as indicated below:
  • Hold down the side button and Digital Crown at the same time. The Digital Crown is the rotating button located on the side of the device.
  • Keep holding these two buttons down until you see the Apple logo appear on the screen.

If none of the above steps help, then you may have to backup your iPhone (that will backup the data on your Apple Watch) and then unpair your Apple Watch and then pair it again to your iPhone.

Axel F.

Nov 4, 2023 11:40 PM in response to prinzehl

Lets start with some basic questions to get on the same page:

1. You have a working and active cellular service for your Apple Watch, correct? You are able to make and receive calls by using the cellular service, correct? Also, other apps are in working order using cellular data on your Apple Watch, correct?
  2. On your iPhone, open the Watch app ➡️ Cellular ➡️ Spotify: Ensure that this switch is set to ON.

Axel F.

Streaming music on Cellular watch without iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.