You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Re-installing snow leopard on original machine.

Hi,

I recently gave my old 15" macbook pro (2009) to a friend. beforehand I reset and installed HSiera after following careful guidance to do so, making a bootable drive with instruction and the osx.dmg from apple support pages.

The new install does not perform well and safari or firefox struggle to open.

I would like to re-install snow leopard (I have the original OSX install CDs but the DVD/CD drive ceased working a few years ago. There is an external drive which I also gave with the MacB and bits, he is away at moment.

A screen message said my Superdrive is not supported on the same MacB, when I connected it to the 15" macB.

I am now wondering if I should even attempt to open the zip download to create the Snow Leopard boot-able drive if my retina 13" will not support the 10.6.8 dmg being opened by the current 10.15.7 OS which i do not want to change just to create a SL boot drive.

Any advice is helpul 🙏🏻

MM

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 5:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2023 9:17 AM

Hey dialabrain, thanks for the prompt, I've sorted the drive with a terminal PRAM reset. HD wiped and waiting for disc OS upload, seems to be all working. BTW it was El Capitan installed (brain drain memory on my side 😅).

Similar questions

6 replies

Oct 26, 2023 9:11 AM in response to penguinmixy

What is the exact model of the computer running macOS 10.15.7? If it is a Late-2009 to 2015 model, then you should be able to download & create a bootable macOS 10.11 USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

In fact, most Macs from 2007 to 2015 should be able to allow you to create a bootable 10.11 USB installer.

Oct 26, 2023 9:27 AM in response to HWTech

Hi, Thanks HWTech for your link. It's a G5,3.

I've carefully looked over those support pages many times, and have created successful boot-drives for OS upgrade/downgrades, the G5,3 doesn't seem to like El Capitan from what I've seen in other comments. Hopefully the re-install will leave the macB as fast as it used to be.

I appreciate your help.

👍🏼

MM

Re-installing snow leopard on original machine.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.