You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Numbers - how do I retain data in a cell

Hi everyone.

Any help appreciated. I would like to record data into a spreadsheet daily and refer back to it at a later date. I am using two sheets , Input and Data, see photos. The input screen date changes daily and I enter the data. This is then logged in the data sheet at the matching date. Unfortunately when the input date changes and I enter new data. The previous data stored in the data sheet is lost or replaced with the new value even though its a different date. How do I keep the data from previous dates (inputs) in the data sheet?

I hope this makes sense and thanks for taking the time to reading my post.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.7

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 1:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2023 9:36 AM

On the Mac with its larger screen wouldn't you be better off making entries directly into the Data table?

(On the iPad, with its smaller screen, you might add a Form to make data input easier.)

If you are doing lookups (which you may not need in this case) I recommend using XLOOKUP, more modern and more flexible than the ancient LOOKUP.

XLOOKUP - Apple Support (HK)

SG

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 25, 2023 9:36 AM in response to fellwalker

On the Mac with its larger screen wouldn't you be better off making entries directly into the Data table?

(On the iPad, with its smaller screen, you might add a Form to make data input easier.)

If you are doing lookups (which you may not need in this case) I recommend using XLOOKUP, more modern and more flexible than the ancient LOOKUP.

XLOOKUP - Apple Support (HK)

SG

Numbers - how do I retain data in a cell

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.