You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Mail not sending even though I hear the 'sent' sound

If I open a New Message to compose and send to another of my email addresses I here the 'swoosh' of it sending,(and I can see it says Sending Message) but it never arrives and there's no record of it in the 'sent' box. It disappears totally.

However, if I reply to an email then the email does send and there's a copy in the sent folder.

Mail Connection Doctor gives green lights for SMTP and IMAP.

The only time it has sent a 'brand new' email (that wasn't a reply) was when Calender generated an email to remind me of an appointment. Even then it sat in the Outbox for ages and I kept having to press 'send' to get it to move.

If I send an email from signing on to my account online, then it sends the message, and the message somehow appears in the Sent folder of Mac Mail.

In short I can send emails if they're replies, but if I hit the New Message button and send one from scratch they don't arrive and disappear completely!

(I've deleted - and then reinstalled - the account on Mail twice).

Mac mini

Posted on Oct 18, 2023 6:35 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2023 12:24 AM

Thank you for your answer. It originally said 'Automatically select best account' which I changed to a named email address. Unfortunately that's not resolved the problem.

Newsflash! I'd noticed that Mail wasn't sending mail straight away but there was some delay during which an 'unsend' option appeared. This hadn't happened before (if it's relevant, I had to change my mail password and that's when I noticed things going wrong). I thought this was quite a good idea and didn't think it could be connected to the problem. Anyway, I turned 'Undo send delay' from 10 seconds to 'Off' and that's fixed the problem. The delay was completely erasing the email instead of sending it!

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 19, 2023 12:24 AM in response to BDAqua

Thank you for your answer. It originally said 'Automatically select best account' which I changed to a named email address. Unfortunately that's not resolved the problem.

Newsflash! I'd noticed that Mail wasn't sending mail straight away but there was some delay during which an 'unsend' option appeared. This hadn't happened before (if it's relevant, I had to change my mail password and that's when I noticed things going wrong). I thought this was quite a good idea and didn't think it could be connected to the problem. Anyway, I turned 'Undo send delay' from 10 seconds to 'Off' and that's fixed the problem. The delay was completely erasing the email instead of sending it!

Mac Mail not sending even though I hear the 'sent' sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.