You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off 2FA-What does enrollment & update acct. mean in iOS-speak?

Work handed me an iPhone. I had an Apple ID frow way back when iPhones were a good value. I can not toggle off 2FA. It does not respond (2FA 20 times a day is a deal breaker).

Eric Root on the Apple Reccomended disscusion says, "If you recently updated your account, however, you can unenroll [in 2FA] for a period of two weeks. Just open your enrollment confirmation email and click the link to return to your previous security settings."

What does the italics mean? I have totally updated my account and I am not sure I enrolled in anything other then signing a phone contract.

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 7:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 14, 2023 9:23 PM

Hello,

I see you want to disable two-factor authentication. For some background I suggest you read the document: "Two-factor authentication for Apple ID" - Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

When reading that article some people have difficulty determining if they can or cannot disable two factor authentication on their accounts, particularly when provided with isolated quotations. I am providing what I feel is clearer information.

Several years ago Apple transitioned to using two-factor authentication for additional account security. Accounts created since that time automatically use two-factor authentication and this cannot be disabled.

Some people have older accounts from before two-factor authentication was mandatory on new accounts. Apple encourages those users to transition to two-factor authentication when signing in on their accounts because without it "your account is less secure and you can't use features that require a higher level of security." An owner of an older account who has just now activated two-factor authentication has two weeks to change their mind and return to older security settings.

If you have an older account, recently activated two factor authentication, and you're within the two week period for turning it off again, you should check for an email from Apple for a way to do this. If you don't see one about this, look in your junk mail folder.

I think the real question now is why you are having to authenticate 20 times per day. Typically you should only have to authenticate once per device until you do something like completely erase a device. For more about that see Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 14, 2023 9:23 PM in response to Tomyknee

Hello,

I see you want to disable two-factor authentication. For some background I suggest you read the document: "Two-factor authentication for Apple ID" - Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

When reading that article some people have difficulty determining if they can or cannot disable two factor authentication on their accounts, particularly when provided with isolated quotations. I am providing what I feel is clearer information.

Several years ago Apple transitioned to using two-factor authentication for additional account security. Accounts created since that time automatically use two-factor authentication and this cannot be disabled.

Some people have older accounts from before two-factor authentication was mandatory on new accounts. Apple encourages those users to transition to two-factor authentication when signing in on their accounts because without it "your account is less secure and you can't use features that require a higher level of security." An owner of an older account who has just now activated two-factor authentication has two weeks to change their mind and return to older security settings.

If you have an older account, recently activated two factor authentication, and you're within the two week period for turning it off again, you should check for an email from Apple for a way to do this. If you don't see one about this, look in your junk mail folder.

I think the real question now is why you are having to authenticate 20 times per day. Typically you should only have to authenticate once per device until you do something like completely erase a device. For more about that see Two-factor authentication for Apple ID - Apple Support

Oct 18, 2023 10:04 PM in response to Tomyknee

Tomyknee wrote:

2FA in settings is “greyed out” can not toggle off to on.

You just said you wish to toggle 2FA on. Did you really mean that?

If something is greyed out it isn't a 2FA issue, it is a Screen Time issue. If an app or feature on your device is not working, not appearing, or is restricted (grayed out), it may have been disabled using Screen Time, or by an IT administrator if you are using a device owned by an employer or educational institution.

- Read this support article If your Apple ID or other options are greyed out in Settings —> If your Apple ID is greyed out in Settings - Apple Support

Tap Settings > Screen Time > Content & Privacy > scroll to Allow Changes.

- If the device is managed (Settings > General > VPN & Device Management), contact the IT department that is doing the managing.

Oct 16, 2023 11:23 AM in response to Limnos

Less is More!

Thank you Less! Exec. Summary: I have a 20 yo Apple ID. iPhone 13 was activated 11 days ago. 2FA in settings is “greyed out” can not toggle off to on.

Who do I contact in the next 3 days to rid my world of 2FA?

(30+ years of Mac & PC use and have never been hacked. 2FA is so Apple does not get hacked and not for informed end users)

(I have to 2FA 20x a day because my iCloud is on Win11Pro and I do my own security by wiping all cookies/cache/scripts every time I close browser.

[Edited by Moderator]

Nov 7, 2023 8:09 PM in response to Limnos

None of the way suggested allowed me to turn of 2FA. Can Apple Customer Service do it?

Answer the question above question when I: Tap your Apple ID > Password & Security · Tap Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication · I USED to have a toggle between off and on. However it was inactive (greyed out) now it has been more the two weeks and I do not have the option to go to the toggle that did not work in the first place.

I know Apples get hacked all the time but I do not keep anything worth hacking on an iPhone. I want to get 2FA out of my apple life or I will go back to Android only. How!?!?!

Turn off 2FA-What does enrollment & update acct. mean in iOS-speak?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.