You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Air Battery Maximum Capacity Constantly Decreasing. HELP!

It's October and I just got my laptop January this year. I just noticed that my battery's maximum capacity is already at 89%.

I am just worried that it has decreased so much in less than a year. I've never had one before so I really need a reply as I am worried that there are things I should've known to have taken care of the battery better. Or is this issue being experienced by others too?

BTW, I just copied and pasted the title from a previous question in the community. I created a new question as per recommendation only.

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 5:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2023 8:50 AM

Batteries are consumables; they degrade naturally even if not used, no two are alike and degradation is neither predictable nor linear. It's normal for a battery to drop in remaining capacity.

Yours may be dropping faster than the norm. Then again it could sit at 89% for many months.

Apple recommends you replace the battery when remaining capacity drops to 80%. You don't have to but you risk efficient operation if you don't.

Worrying will accomplish nothing. The battery is going to do what it's going to do and as to degradation, you have no control over that.

It's unlikely any of your actions have caused any kind of damage to the battery unless you left it completely exhausted for many months..

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 8, 2023 8:50 AM in response to anne1100

Batteries are consumables; they degrade naturally even if not used, no two are alike and degradation is neither predictable nor linear. It's normal for a battery to drop in remaining capacity.

Yours may be dropping faster than the norm. Then again it could sit at 89% for many months.

Apple recommends you replace the battery when remaining capacity drops to 80%. You don't have to but you risk efficient operation if you don't.

Worrying will accomplish nothing. The battery is going to do what it's going to do and as to degradation, you have no control over that.

It's unlikely any of your actions have caused any kind of damage to the battery unless you left it completely exhausted for many months..

M1 MacBook Air Battery Maximum Capacity Constantly Decreasing. HELP!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.