You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

QuickTime Player blocks Sonoma

Quick Time has always been my favourite video player. After installing Sonoma, it does not work anymore. Every time I open a video with it, the Mac is stuck and there is no way to unblock it, it is simply impossible to close the app.

Am I the only one who is experiencing this issue and how can I solve it (apart from using another player)?

Thank you.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Oct 7, 2023 8:50 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2023 8:25 AM

I fixed it now on my MacBook pro.

Open QuickTime go to quicktime menu, select service settings, mine did not have ticks only little blue lines so I selected - restore defaults button and now all is okay no more crashing or quicktime problems.

28 replies

Nov 28, 2023 9:09 PM in response to Anzapp

I'm having a different but probably related problem. When I try to play a video with Quicktime, the computer doesn't freeze, Quicktime doesn't hang, but instead QT treats the mpeg file like an audio file and plays only sound, with a bit of popping and hissing mixed in. The issue recurred with every file I tried. QT Version 10.5 (1170.4.13.1). Sonoma 14.1.1 (23B81). MacBookPro18,3.

Nov 15, 2023 10:45 AM in response to Anzapp

Both QuickTime Player and Apple TV are Apple products. You would think that Apple in developing updates in OS would have compatibility with these products. Is there no solution from Apple experts? My equipment is MacBook Air M1 2020 - 16 GB Memory. I have also had a problem with Apple Mail freezing since I updated to Sonoma. The issue with Apple Mail happens in two scenarios - an email with a large attachment or an email with hundreds of BCC email recipients. The email is stuck in Outbox and the program will not open without freezing immediately. I'm sharing this email issue in this thread about video players with this question. Could the freezing issue be due to a memory issue (though I have 16 MB)?

May 28, 2024 6:04 AM in response to sim001uk

Well I thought it had sorted it but I have now had several more lock-ups/crashes when using Quicktime so although this did sort it for a while its back and I have no idea why.

I am using an LG screen mirrored, supplied by Apple with my 16inch M1 Max connected via the original USB-C cable supplied with the monitor. I cannot be the only editor in the world using this screen in this mode. APPLE need to sort this one quick time.

Jul 6, 2024 10:52 AM in response to mikefromhertford

Another issue is that I even when the screen capture appears to be working (but does not save) QuickTime does not allow mouse to click on items in the screen and change text or edit copy.

Perhaps I got spoilt using iShowU software and QuickTime does not have this facility.

Anyway my solution at the moment is to forget QuickTime altogether and film the screen and action with my iPhone

How much money is Apple making ??

QuickTime Player blocks Sonoma

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.