You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connect 2 MacBooks over firewire

So, i have 2 MacBook Pro‘s. 1 (mbp 2012 15“) running macos high sierra and 1 (mbp mid 2010 13“) running no os.

I already tried to use an Install usb but no luck. All the key combinations (cmd + r, T, cmd + alt + r) do not work. I cant seem to find an 2010 mbp grey install disk as i don't have mine anymore.

Can i connect 2 macs over firewire 800 and install the macos operating system over this or will it not work as „T“ on startup doesn’t work?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 4:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Oct 6, 2023 5:49 PM

Make sure you are creating a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If there are no errors with creating a bootable USB installer, but you cannot successfully boot it, then try using another USB stick since the quality of USB sticks is extremely poor, plus Macs can be very picky about the drives used for booting.

If the special startup keys are not working on this laptop, then you may have a hardware issue of some sort with that laptop. Try using a wired external USB keyboard to try those special startup keys just in case the built-in keyboard has a problem. Make sure to press & hold the startup keys immediately after the startup chime (or within about two seconds for these older systems). Pressing the keys too soon or too late may keep them from being recognized.

A failing internal hard drive could also keep a Mac from being able to access special startup modes (remove the hard drive to see if it makes any difference). Other hardware issues could also be involved.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Oct 6, 2023 5:49 PM in response to MnXyz4

Make sure you are creating a bootable macOS USB installer using the instructions in this Apple article:

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If there are no errors with creating a bootable USB installer, but you cannot successfully boot it, then try using another USB stick since the quality of USB sticks is extremely poor, plus Macs can be very picky about the drives used for booting.

If the special startup keys are not working on this laptop, then you may have a hardware issue of some sort with that laptop. Try using a wired external USB keyboard to try those special startup keys just in case the built-in keyboard has a problem. Make sure to press & hold the startup keys immediately after the startup chime (or within about two seconds for these older systems). Pressing the keys too soon or too late may keep them from being recognized.

A failing internal hard drive could also keep a Mac from being able to access special startup modes (remove the hard drive to see if it makes any difference). Other hardware issues could also be involved.

Oct 6, 2023 12:48 PM in response to MnXyz4

T key should work when nothing is connected to the target Mac but power at startup. You must use the builtin or USB keyboard.

The target Mac will reveal the Firewire logo at startup.

If it doesn't then the CMOS battery/capacitor may be broke or old. Bring in for service. The hard drive could also have died with age.

If it does get a logo, then at that point you can link the firewire cable to the Target Mac and connect to the host Mac and install the OS. Note, you can only install the operating system that the target and host Mac both support.

Use http://checkcoverage.apple.com to verify the age of both Macs, and do NOT give out the serial number on this forum. We can tell you what OSes are necessary.

The target Mac will not reveal to the installer its software requirements during install. It will only show once you shut down both Macs and remove the firewire cable.

Connect 2 MacBooks over firewire

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.