You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting text notification sounds on both iPhone and iWatch

My iPhone 15 Pro Max will not generate a sound for a text message if it is asleep and I am wearing my iWatch. I can't hear the notification sound on the watch very well. I learned today that if I turn off wrist detection then I can get a sound on both devices, and it's true. That works, but I lose a host of iWatch features (such as monitoring of heart rate) by doing so. Does anyone out there have a better way of solving my issue? Thank you! Frank Leonard.

iPhone 15 Pro Max

Posted on Oct 2, 2023 6:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2024 11:14 AM

Same for me, iPhone 15 Pro Max, just got an older Watch Series 5. I have the haptics set to prominent because I'm prone to miss messages without the iPhone sounds. I have different sounds set to play for different people on my phone, but when the watch is connected, my phone is silent, and I can't tell who texted. I depend on having the different sounds from the iPhone tell me who texted so I can ignore generics that come in or say, pay attention to texts my wife sends me. I realize that it was on purpose that the phone goes silent when you have the watch, but IMO, you should always be able to set it to make sounds if you want that. I keep hearing that it's possible, but nothing I've read in the way of solutions yet seems to work. I want my iPhone to make notification sounds and have my watch vibrate and still keep features like monitoring my heart rate, etc.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 3, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Franker14

Same for me, iPhone 15 Pro Max, just got an older Watch Series 5. I have the haptics set to prominent because I'm prone to miss messages without the iPhone sounds. I have different sounds set to play for different people on my phone, but when the watch is connected, my phone is silent, and I can't tell who texted. I depend on having the different sounds from the iPhone tell me who texted so I can ignore generics that come in or say, pay attention to texts my wife sends me. I realize that it was on purpose that the phone goes silent when you have the watch, but IMO, you should always be able to set it to make sounds if you want that. I keep hearing that it's possible, but nothing I've read in the way of solutions yet seems to work. I want my iPhone to make notification sounds and have my watch vibrate and still keep features like monitoring my heart rate, etc.

Oct 4, 2023 6:41 PM in response to Franker14

Hi Franker14 ,

You can set the Apple Watch vibration to be more prominent as indicated in the steps here:

"Manage Apple Watch Haptic Alerts

1. Open the Settings app. 
  2. Scroll down and tap Sounds & Haptics.
  3. Turn Haptic Alerts on or off.

Apple Watch showing the Sounds & Haptics screen in Settings

4. To add extra emphasis to haptic alerts, tap Prominent. This feature adds an additional haptic tap that pre-announces some of your other haptic alerts. 

You can also change the settings for specific apps from your iPhone. On your iPhone, open the Apple Watch app, go to the My Watch tab, and tap Sounds & Haptics.

If you're wearing your Apple Watch and you don't feel a tap as you adjust the slider, contact Apple Support. For the best haptic results, the back of your Apple Watch needs skin contact. Use a snug, but comfortable fit. "

You can find these steps along with other information that may be helpful, here: Change the audio and notification settings on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Cheers!

Getting text notification sounds on both iPhone and iWatch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.