You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad charging

My iPad Pro 3rd generation has been finicky regarding charging. What is the correct wattage charger to use to charge it?

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 10:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2023 10:24 AM

You can use any power adapter 20 watt or larger. See the following from Power & Cables - All Accessories - Apple

(the link is limited to iPad Pro 3rd generation compatible items)

2 replies

Sep 29, 2023 10:25 AM in response to tysmuv227

Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W (i.e., 2.4A @5V) or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters (1.0A @5V) intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Some third-party USB-C power adapters (and portable PowerBanks) may not support USB PD (Power Delivery). Power Delivery mutually negotiates the charging voltage; the source, load and cable are all elements involved in the negotiation protocol. Unless the Power Adapter explicitly supports USB PD, it will almost certainly fail to charge the iPad; proprietary charging standards, such as QC (Quick Charge), are not supported.

Many computer USB ports also cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

iPad charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.