You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot unlock phone after update

Phone did an update, asked for a passcode typed it in and now it says it’s the incorrect passcode and I cannot unlock the phone and apple support cannot help either?!

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 7:39 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 22, 2023 9:18 AM

When you said not brand new, I believed that was in relation to my question asking if you bought the phone brand new originally?

Since you are the original owner, you'll need to follow the directions in the link I provided which is this --> If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

9 replies

Sep 22, 2023 7:58 AM in response to arisela64

I know it's your phone. I didn't know if you bought it brand new originally?

If the passcode has been forgotten, you'll have to follow the directions in this link to erase your phone using a computer with iTunes (Windows) or Finder (Mac) --> If you forgot your iPhone passcode - Apple Support

You can use the directions in the Related Article Link at the top of this page, which brought you here, if you see the Unavailable Message on your iPhone.

And once you have erased the phone, you can set it up again from your most recent backup.

Sep 22, 2023 8:34 AM in response to arisela64

That's why I wanted to know if you are the ORIGINAL buyer of this phone. You bought a used iPhone, which was NOT prepared properly for a new owner. And you have run into a significant issue, which may render the phone completely useless to you. You very likely do not know the Apple ID and Apple ID Password which was used to set up this phone. Without that information, you can't restore the phone unless you can reach whoever you got the phone from and they either remove the phone from their account or give you their ID and Password. Without that, you can't use the phone. Apple won't help you unless you possess the original purchase receipt with the iPhone Serial Number printed on it. And we can't help you. There is a HUGE risk to buying used iPhones, iPads, Apple Watches, etc.

I wrote a user tip about doing just that --> The All Too Common SAD Reality of Buying … - Apple Community

Unless you can reach the original owner of the phone, I think you should be prepared to buy a new iPhone.

Cannot unlock phone after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.