You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can i use a 140w charger from my MBP to charge either an iPad or a MacBook?

Can i use a 140w charger (from my MBPro) to charge either an iPad or a MacBook, or will i harm in some way their batteries?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Sep 17, 2023 7:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 5, 2024 7:48 PM

I used a 140watt charger with my iphone 12. I think i used it twice only. I had to to take my phone to apple care as the battery bulged and back cover split, battery would last minutes after that. So yeah, I keep reading that devices only draw as much as they need but there is something else at play here as well. Maybe voltage mismatch is more crucial than wattage mismatch. One annoying thing about apple is that those specs are not easily available

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Mar 5, 2024 7:48 PM in response to genikifor

I used a 140watt charger with my iphone 12. I think i used it twice only. I had to to take my phone to apple care as the battery bulged and back cover split, battery would last minutes after that. So yeah, I keep reading that devices only draw as much as they need but there is something else at play here as well. Maybe voltage mismatch is more crucial than wattage mismatch. One annoying thing about apple is that those specs are not easily available

Can i use a 140w charger from my MBP to charge either an iPad or a MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.