You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't verify my OS

So I'm trying to download a new operating system on my mid 2009 MacBook pro 15 in. When I try to boot in recovery mode nothing happens. My screen is showing me a white screen and flashing a gray folder with a question mark in it. That happens whether I try to boot in recovery mode or simply turn it on. I've created a flash drive that has the OS on it as a boot installer. Now with that, when I try to go in recovery mode the flash drive I've created pops up and it lets me click on that and continue. It brings me to a language selection after loading with the apple logo and loading bar for a bit. Once I select the language I want it brings me to the OS X Utilities. In that it shows 4 options. Restore from time machine, install OS X, get help online and Disk Utility. I click on the install option. And it brings up the OS X El Capitan logo and the continue arrow. Click that then I have to agree to the terms. Click agree and another small window drops down asking again to agree or disagree and I click agree. Then it brings me to where I select the drive I want to download the OS to and it shows my hard drive and then the flash drive but the flash drive is in grey so I can't select it which is ok. I click the hard drive and click install and starts. Shows the hard drive I've selected with a loading bar under it but before it can start loading another window drops down, stopping the download, and says "This copy of Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading." I click ok and it brings me back to the 4 options I said earlier. Please Help.

[Edited by Moderator]

Earlier Mac models

Posted on Sep 13, 2023 10:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2023 9:51 PM

So I've figured it out. I was doing everything correctly. The solution was actually very simple. I needed to change the date and time on the MacBook. I tried changing the date to when the MacBook was originally created in mid 2009. That didn't work. So I changed the date and time to the current date and relatively accurate time. Now, I can't say for certain if the change is because I made it it the current date or if it's because I changed it to the date that I downloaded it which happened to be the current date. I was in recovery mode so I had to change it in the terminal use the command, date mmddttttyy that's month, day, time and year. Once I did that then went back to click install OS everything worked and it finally completed.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 14, 2023 9:51 PM in response to Allan Jones

So I've figured it out. I was doing everything correctly. The solution was actually very simple. I needed to change the date and time on the MacBook. I tried changing the date to when the MacBook was originally created in mid 2009. That didn't work. So I changed the date and time to the current date and relatively accurate time. Now, I can't say for certain if the change is because I made it it the current date or if it's because I changed it to the date that I downloaded it which happened to be the current date. I was in recovery mode so I had to change it in the terminal use the command, date mmddttttyy that's month, day, time and year. Once I did that then went back to click install OS everything worked and it finally completed.

Sep 13, 2023 12:43 PM in response to absolumthewanderer

"This copy of Install OS X El Capitan application can't be verified. It may have been corrupted or tampered with during downloading."

That could be caused by there being an older, unsigned version fo the El Capitan installer already in your Applications folder. Before trying anything else, check for that, delete if needed, and then try again.

Can't verify my OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.