You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What adapter for USB to thunderbolt 4 port

I have a new Air with Thunderbolt 4 ports. My external backup (time machine) disks and flash drives have usb connections (I do not know the difference between USB A, B, C). What adapter do I need to connect these devices to the Thunderbolt 4 port?

Thanks.

MacBook Air (M2, 2022)

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 2:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2023 2:09 PM

I use this adaptor to connect from my MacBook Air's USB-C ports to a USB A device (e.g. external disk drive): USB-C to USB-A Adaptor

4 replies

Sep 8, 2023 4:00 PM in response to Michael Abrahams

Michael Abrahams wrote:

I have a new Air with Thunderbolt 4 ports. My external backup (time machine) disks and flash drives have usb connections (I do not know the difference between USB A, B, C).

https://www.anker.com/blogs/cables/how-to-identify-different-types-of-usb-cables-a-brief-guide

USB-A connectors are the common flat, rectangular ones.

USB-B connectors are chunky and bread-loaf-shaped. You might see them on printers.

USB-C connectors are the ones you have on your MacBook Air.

USB 3.0 Micro-B connectors are the small, crimped connectors that you see on the hard drive end of many portable hard drives.

What adapter for USB to thunderbolt 4 port

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.