You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How many apps does a 256 GB iPad hold?

In a few months from now, I will be purchasing an iPad, and I want to know how much storage space I can get with the 256 GB version.

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on Sep 2, 2023 7:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 5, 2023 4:31 PM

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your Apps, documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage - 512GB providing a safer margin.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Perhaps also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 5, 2023 4:31 PM in response to travelingwoman333

Whichever iPad model you choose, you would be well advised to purchase as much internal storage as your budget might reasonably allow - as internal storage (and other hardware) cannot be changed, upgraded or extended. The available internal storage is fixed for the entire life of the device. If you run out of internal storage for your Apps, documents, photos and other data, you will forever struggle and become a source of frustration. It is far better to have more storage than you need, than to need more storage than you have.

A good rule of thumb is to quantify how much data storage you will need - add a healthy margin - then double it. If you are unable to quantify your data storage needs, it becomes more difficult. Whilst I and others cannot cannot make definitive recommendations for your personal needs, objectively I would council against purchase of any iPad with any less than 256GB storage - 512GB providing a safer margin.

Within the Apple Support Communities we see regular tales of woe and disappointment when storage requirements are exceeded, necessitating replacement of the device; by contrast, we never see complaint of having too much available storage. It is relatively easy to fill limited internal storage space; perhaps consider higher tiers of storage as providing room for growth as your needs develop or mature - potentially extending the useful usable life of the device. 

Perhaps also consider the functional differences between WiFi Only and WiFi+Cellular models of iPad. Aside from the obvious Cellular functionality, only WiFi+Cellular models include GNSS/GPS location capabilities - which may impact any Apps or features that require accurate and consistent location data, such as Mapping. 

Purchase of a WiFi+Cellular model provides access to precise location services, but does not commit you to using Cellular connections. WiFi Only models of iPad have no Cellular or GNSS/GPS functions at all.

Sep 2, 2023 7:33 PM in response to travelingwoman333

travelingwoman333 Said:

"How many apps does a 256 GB iPad hold?: In a few months from now, I will be purchasing an iPad, and I want to know how much storage space I can get with the 256 GB version."

-------

For future reference...

Troubleshooting iPad Storage:

Internal storage cannot be upgraded. It is what it is. So, the maximum internal storage capacity never increases, even if you upgraded your iCloud plan. Learn More here: What's the Difference Between Device Storage and iCloud Storage? Apple Support

So, what to do...

Clear Space Using my User Tips:

Sep 2, 2023 7:13 PM in response to travelingwoman333

Your answer is contained within your question.

A 256 GB iPad has a total of 256 GB space.Deduct 12 - 15 GB for the iOS and another minimum 10 GB to keep as empty space.

Now, with 230 GB left, you can check which apps take up how much space. There can be no answer because different apps take up different amounts of space. You will need to do the research.

Sep 2, 2023 7:25 PM in response to travelingwoman333

As you have an iPhone, look at your current storage usage there.

iPad app and data usage will not appreciably differ from a similarly-app’d iPhone.

From that baseline, decide how much less or how much more you plan to use the iPad.

Once you’ve decided how much you will probably use, then increase your usage estimate for the usable lifetime of the iPad, as the storage required for apps and iPadOS and user data are only going to increase.

How many apps does a 256 GB iPad hold?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.