You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The display doesn’t turn on, unless I unplug the USB C cable and re-plug in to the Mac mini

When I turn on or restart the Mac mini, the display doesn’t turn on unless I unplug the USB C cable and replug it again. Do you have any idea what’s wrong with it? Thank you

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 2:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2023 2:27 PM

Ah, the ol' "turn it off and on again" trick not doing it for you, eh? Look, I get it—Macs are supposed to be these pristine pieces of technological beauty that "just work," but sometimes they decide they'd rather channel their inner teenager and rebel a bit. Happens to the best of us (or them).

So, what could be wrong? Well, it's a buffet of possibilities. Let's start with the most boring dish:

1. **Software Updates**: Seriously, have you updated macOS and your drivers lately? Sometimes the answer is a single "Update" button away. If only all of life's problems were that simple.

2. **Port Examination**: Maybe your USB-C port decided to quit its day job. Swap it out or test another device to make sure it's still clocking in.

3. **Different Display**: If you've got another monitor lying around, plug it in and see if it's a family issue or just one display acting out.

4. **Cable Quality**: Your USB-C cable might be doing its best impression of a noodle when you need it to be a racecar. Try another one that’s, you know, less noodly.

5. **Display Settings**: Sometimes the settings just decide to go on vacation. Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and fiddle around. Maybe you'll accidentally fix it.

6. **SMC/PRAM Reset**: This is the Mac's equivalent of sage-ing the house to clear out bad energy. Look up how to do it; it's not too complicated but make sure you know what you're doing.

7. **Consult the Oracle (Apple Support)**: If all else fails, let the pros handle it. They've got more diagnostic tools than Batman has gadgets.

Good luck! May the tech gods be ever in your favor.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2023 2:27 PM in response to AdrianYuen

Ah, the ol' "turn it off and on again" trick not doing it for you, eh? Look, I get it—Macs are supposed to be these pristine pieces of technological beauty that "just work," but sometimes they decide they'd rather channel their inner teenager and rebel a bit. Happens to the best of us (or them).

So, what could be wrong? Well, it's a buffet of possibilities. Let's start with the most boring dish:

1. **Software Updates**: Seriously, have you updated macOS and your drivers lately? Sometimes the answer is a single "Update" button away. If only all of life's problems were that simple.

2. **Port Examination**: Maybe your USB-C port decided to quit its day job. Swap it out or test another device to make sure it's still clocking in.

3. **Different Display**: If you've got another monitor lying around, plug it in and see if it's a family issue or just one display acting out.

4. **Cable Quality**: Your USB-C cable might be doing its best impression of a noodle when you need it to be a racecar. Try another one that’s, you know, less noodly.

5. **Display Settings**: Sometimes the settings just decide to go on vacation. Go to System Preferences > Displays > Arrangement and fiddle around. Maybe you'll accidentally fix it.

6. **SMC/PRAM Reset**: This is the Mac's equivalent of sage-ing the house to clear out bad energy. Look up how to do it; it's not too complicated but make sure you know what you're doing.

7. **Consult the Oracle (Apple Support)**: If all else fails, let the pros handle it. They've got more diagnostic tools than Batman has gadgets.

Good luck! May the tech gods be ever in your favor.

The display doesn’t turn on, unless I unplug the USB C cable and re-plug in to the Mac mini

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.