You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reinstalling macOS on 2018 MBA

Hi, I have an old MBA from 2018 with the Intel Core i5 (I'll attach an image below)One of my friends gave it to me and he had chromeOS Flex installed on it. I restarted the device while pressing CMD&R so I could reinstall macOS but it keeps saying it cannot connect to recovery server. I have reset the date and my Wi-Fi has no issues. With no success, I have no options but to ask you guys for support. (PS) If I need another computer for the process, the only other device I have is a 2020 M1 MBA.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 14.0

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 2:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 28, 2023 8:49 PM

Hi Hridayx24,

Thanks for the detailed post!

By default, the T2 Security Chip in your 2018 MacBook Air only allows starting up from internal storage and Internet Recovery. However, considering that your friend installed chromeOS Flex on it, they probably set the Startup Security settings to allow any OS to boot, and allow booting from external media.

Try these steps to see if your Mac will accept a bootable installer. You'll need your M1 MacBook Air, a 16 GB USB drive, and a fast Internet connection for this: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, try these steps:

1. Try booting your 2018 MacBook Air from Internet Recovery using a different Wi-Fi network, or using an Ethernet (wired) connection.
  2. If all else fails, you can fully erase your 2018 Air and restore the T2 firmware on it by restoring it in Apple Configurator with your M1 Air: Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support (CA)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 28, 2023 8:49 PM in response to Hridayx24

Hi Hridayx24,

Thanks for the detailed post!

By default, the T2 Security Chip in your 2018 MacBook Air only allows starting up from internal storage and Internet Recovery. However, considering that your friend installed chromeOS Flex on it, they probably set the Startup Security settings to allow any OS to boot, and allow booting from external media.

Try these steps to see if your Mac will accept a bootable installer. You'll need your M1 MacBook Air, a 16 GB USB drive, and a fast Internet connection for this: Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

If that doesn't work, try these steps:

1. Try booting your 2018 MacBook Air from Internet Recovery using a different Wi-Fi network, or using an Ethernet (wired) connection.
  2. If all else fails, you can fully erase your 2018 Air and restore the T2 firmware on it by restoring it in Apple Configurator with your M1 Air: Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support (CA)

Reinstalling macOS on 2018 MBA

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.