You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Logic Pro - Audio Interface XLR / Instrument Cable Not Working

I've been beyond frustrated with utilizing Audio Interfaces with Logic Pro on iPad. Specifically with recording Instruments and Vocals. I like to begin this thread by adding that my iPad is currently on the latest iOS version as of making this post (iPadOS 16.6).

Audio Vocals - When recording vocal audio for my projects on iPad Logic Pro I never fail to run into a consistent issue where the audio is not being picked up at all by Logic. I've utilized the Focusrite Scarlette Solo and the Behringer UMC404HD and I find it hard to believe the issue is being caused by both devices as they seem to be working completely fine performing the same task on my PC Desktop using Pro Tools and on my 2012 Macbook Pro running Logic Pro. In case you're wondering, I made sure the XLR cable and Microphone I was utilizing were in fact in good working order. And I even decided to max out the gain on both devices to try and get a signal for monitoring which hasn't shown any proven results.

When either of the audio interfaces are connected to the iPad and when I'm creating a new track in logic, I make sure it's being detected (which it shows) to verify the iPad recognizes the devices. Inside of 'create a new track' I left everything as default initially and did not get any signal from my microphone. I then decided to try these steps

• Change Stereo to Mono under Format
  • Ensure Channel is the correct Input as the microphone is plugged into on the audio interface
  • Enabled Input Monitoring

After following these steps above, the issue is still persistent.

Instrument Recording - Another issue I'm running into that's a problem is when recording instruments with my audio interfaces, the sound for the instruments are only playing on one side (left or right) during playback and monitoring. I've tried following the steps as mentioned above and made adjustments in the individual track to try and balance the sound and the issue remains consistent.

Conclusion - I purchased the iPad as it best suited me for recording my projects and I personally enjoy the iPad more than my Macbook Pro. I find it baffling that what I'm trying to achieve works completely fine on my Macbook and on a completely different platform but fails to work on my current setup. It's especially frustrating when looking for tutorials online to resolve the issue, I find some people are not having the issues I'm facing at all.

Example - Pete Johns Studio Live Today ~ Recording VOCALS in Logic Pro for iPad on youtube seemingly having no issues recording audio. However I recognized he is using different hardware and additional hardware to record vocals in their tutorial, I don't believe the additional mixer presented is completely necessary for simply recording my audio.

What works - I've purchased the iRig IK Multimedia HD 2 Interface from Guitar Center to record my instruments and it works flawlessly. Way better than I had expected and gives me 0 issues. I'm ready to visit Guitar Center again to purchase an Instrument Cable to XLR to plug it into this interface just to record my Vocals as I believe it may resolve my audio recording issues on iPad logic.

I'd love for anyone who has experienced this issue to please share your experience. And of course, if anyone has any insight as to how to fix this problem, I'd love to know! Thanks.

(Update - I noticed my thread says I'm using the iPad Mini 4. I'm actually using an iPad Air 5th Gen)

iPad mini 4

Posted on Aug 14, 2023 5:27 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

iPad Logic Pro - Audio Interface XLR / Instrument Cable Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.