You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Being sold a sealed refurbished or open box macbook as new

I bought macbook air M1 from a prominent supermarket in Dubai, UAE today. (13 Aug 2023) When I checked the apple support application, it says the warranty is expiring on September 2023. Which means the system was already opened and registered in August 2022 last year. So did I get duped by the supermarket for buying a used or refurbished macbook air as new?

[Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 2:40 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 7:26 PM

You need to contact Apple by phone to have your Mac's purchase date corrected: Update your proof of purchase - Apple Support

4 replies

Aug 13, 2023 3:12 PM in response to ShirazMo

This does not mean that they lied to you. If it is factory sealed, then it is not used - it just sat on the shelf for almost a year. Apple starts the warranty when the item is shipped to the original owner/store and the time for it starts ticking at that point. If the shop is an authorized reseller, you can probably ask Apple to adjust the purchase/warranty date, but if it is not, then your device's warranty ends in September. Contact Apple and ask if the date can be adjusted and what proof you need (one is usually that the purchase receipt has to include the serial number).

Being sold a sealed refurbished or open box macbook as new

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.