You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Keynote: Can't see presenter notes when using external monitor

I use an external monitor to display slides in Keynote. Connected via HDMI port. Laptop display set to "main" and external set to "extended." According to Apple, when I start a presentation in fullscreen, I should see it on the external (this does happen), and the laptop should show the presenter display (this doesn't; the laptop just goes black.)

If I press x, the displays switch as instructions say they will: the slides are on the laptop and the external goes black. But it's still black.

The best I can do for presentations is to mirror the displays, and then at least I see the slide on my laptop. I know this isn't how it's supposed to work. What am I missing?

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 13.5

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 8:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2023 8:27 AM

In Keynote, go to: Keynote > Preferences

In the slideshow tab, place a tick in Enable Presenter Display in full screen:

Similar questions

2 replies

Keynote: Can't see presenter notes when using external monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.