You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine - Extra, unknown folder being backed up

Time Machine is currently backing up the HD on my 2017 Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 iMac, running Ventura 13.4.1.

It is correctly backing up:

• HD
  • HD - Data

But is also backing up a folder called "Video Editing". This is a folder I used to have on my computer. Through thorough searches, I do not believe it exists anymore. This folder exists in backups going back to Jan 2021.

When I open the backup on the Time Machine drive it is showing 3 folders:

• HD
  • HD - Data
  • Video Editing

I'm familiar with how to "Exclude from Backups", and would happily do this, but the folder/file does not exist on my HD, or any attached external drives.

Any suggestions on how to find out where this file is being backed up from? Or how to make it stop?

Thanks for your help

iMac

Posted on Aug 11, 2023 6:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 12, 2023 5:21 PM

how do I go about removing the folder from this endless loop of TM reproduction that's taking up space?

The “reproduction” isn’t taking up space. The original backup of that drive, and any changes are the only space it uses no matter how many times you see that drive in the timeline.

There isn’t a way to remove items in the backup set sort of erasing the backup drive and starting over.

Similar questions

13 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 12, 2023 5:21 PM in response to Stephen Sandlin

how do I go about removing the folder from this endless loop of TM reproduction that's taking up space?

The “reproduction” isn’t taking up space. The original backup of that drive, and any changes are the only space it uses no matter how many times you see that drive in the timeline.

There isn’t a way to remove items in the backup set sort of erasing the backup drive and starting over.

Aug 12, 2023 7:02 AM in response to Stephen Sandlin

Stephen Sandlin wrote:

• Time Machine is currently backing up the HD on my 2017 Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2017 iMac, running Ventura 13.4.1.

It is correctly backing up:
HD
• HD - Data
But is also backing up a folder called "Video Editing". This is a folder I used to have on my computer. Through thorough searches, I do not believe it exists anymore. This folder exists in backups going back to Jan 2021.

When I open the backup on the Time Machine drive it is showing 3 folders:
HD
• HD - Data
• Video Editing

I'm familiar with how to "Exclude from Backups", and would happily do this, but the folder/file does not exist on my HD, or any attached external drives.

Any suggestions on how to find out where this file is being backed up from? Or how to make it stop?

Thanks for your help

Time Machine backups— automatically back up your "personal data," including apps, music, photos, email, and documents. This would be your "Macintosh HD - Data " volume.

System files are a SSV — a “snapshot” of the current system, (SSV) Signed System Volume. This would be the 'Macintosh HD' and not included in the backup. It is restored via Recovery Volume or Internet Recovery from Apple servers.

If you are in doubt about "Video Editing" do a Spotlight search

ref: Search with Spotlight on Mac - Apple Support

If in doubt you can itemize your user data and size from Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo du -h -d 1 ~/

an example of the disk structure and associated Volumes—

MacBook-Pro ~ % diskutil list internal

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 314.6 MB disk0s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk1 1.0 TB disk0s2

/dev/disk1 (synthesized):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: APFS Container Scheme - +1.0 TB disk1

Physical Store disk0s2

1: APFS Volume Macintosh HD 9.2 GB disk1s1

2: APFS Snapshot com.apple.os.update-... 9.2 GB disk1s1s1

3: APFS Volume Macintosh HD - Data 422.0 GB disk1s2

4: APFS Volume Preboot 2.0 GB disk1s3

5: APFS Volume Recovery 1.2 GB disk1s4

6: APFS Volume VM 3.2 GB disk1s5

Aug 12, 2023 10:07 AM in response to Stephen Sandlin

Since your Mac is running macOS Ventura, it is most likely has its internal drive structured under APFS. What used to be called "Partitions" in HFS+, are now called "Containers."

Within a Container, you can have one or more "Volumes." macOS uses a volume pair, Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data, within a single Container.

Depending on the View that you are using with the Disk Utility, it appears that the "Video Editing" can be another Volume in that Container OR it could be a single Volume in another Container.

Ref: View all devices or only volumes in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Aug 12, 2023 10:51 AM in response to Tesserax

Tesserax wrote:

Since your Mac is running macOS Ventura, it is most likely has its internal drive structured under APFS. What used to be called "Partitions" in HFS+, are now called "Containers."

Within a Container, you can have one or more "Volumes." macOS uses a volume pair, Macintosh HD & Macintosh HD - Data, within a single Container.

Depending on the View that you are using with the Disk Utility, it appears that the "Video Editing" can be another Volume in that Container OR it could be a single Volume in another Container.

Ref: View all devices or only volumes in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

When I look in Disk Utility, I don't see "Video Editing" as another volume. It doesn't appear at all. I thin the most likely scenario is what Steve626 described above, where I was previously backing this folder up from a now non-existent external drive.

Aug 12, 2023 7:47 AM in response to leroydouglas

Thanks for your help. I'm thinking that the terminal directory listing was to see if I could identify the location of the offending "Video Editing" file, is that correct? Unfortunately, Terminal did not find anything. I also did a file search, and a directory search within terminal... nothing came up. I searched with Spotlight for both, and found nothing. This directory is not on my computer, as far as my searches go.

The directory size is 266Gb, so it would be easily recognizable.

What seems strange to me is that it's showing up as a third directory, next to the HD & HD-Data. It's almost as if I selected it specifically to back up. It's not within HD-Data (where you would obviously find apps, music, photos, email, and documents)

Thus, my original question, and my not understanding why TM is creating this specific folder in addition to the HDs. More importantly, where is is duplicating this file from?

Thanks, again

Aug 12, 2023 10:03 AM in response to Stephen Sandlin

Stephen Sandlin wrote:
This directory is not on my computer, as far as my searches go.

The directory size is 266Gb, so it would be easily recognizable.

What seems strange to me is that it's showing up as a third directory, next to the HD & HD-Data. It's almost as if I selected it specifically to back up. It's not within HD-Data (where you would obviously find apps, music, photos, email, and documents)

Thanks, again

What is the date on that Video backup "folder"? When you open that folder, what do you see? What are the dates on files inside it?

What you are describing sounds like you had a separate volume some time ago and had Time Machine back it up, later ejected that volume, have not reconnected it since, and hence it sits on the Time Machine backup drive patiently waiting for it to be reconnected so that volume's backup can be updated.

I recommend not trying to delete that folder as manually modifying Time Machine backups can make them unusable.

Aug 12, 2023 10:52 AM in response to steve626

What is the date on that Video backup "folder"? When you open that folder, what do you see? What are the dates on files inside it?

What you are describing sounds like you had a separate volume some time ago and had Time Machine back it up, later ejected that volume, have not reconnected it since, and hence it sits on the Time Machine backup drive patiently waiting for it to be reconnected so that volume's backup can be updated.

I recommend not trying to delete that folder as manually modifying Time Machine backups can make them unusable.

Thanks for your help. The Video Editing Directory contains an old Final Cut Pro project of mine. the FCP bundle was last opened in Oct 2020. I agree that the most likely scenario was be backing up a previously existing external drive. If that is the case, what are my best options for removing that non-existent file from TM's list of things the backup?

Aug 12, 2023 11:00 AM in response to Stephen Sandlin

You said it was previously on your Mac:

This is a folder I used to have on my computer

If it was a drive you previously had connected to your Mac and backing it up (default), it would appear in the Time Machine backup. Why do you think it should not be there if it was backed up by Time Machine, previously.

Thus, my original question, and my not understanding why TM is creating this specific folder in addition to the HDs. More importantly, where is is duplicating this file from?

It doesn't appear it is duplicating anything. It backed up the drive and the backup is available to restore should you need to do so. Is there a reason you should not be seeing it?

Aug 12, 2023 3:55 PM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

You said it was previously on your Mac:
This is a folder I used to have on my computer

If it was a drive you previously had connected to your Mac and backing it up (default), it would appear in the Time Machine backup. Why do you think it should not be there if it was backed up by Time Machine, previously.
It doesn't appear it is duplicating anything. It backed up the drive and the backup is available to restore should you need to do so. Is there a reason you should not be seeing it?

Thanks for your help. This is a really good point you're making. I think my head was stuck in the idea that TM is merely backing up what I currently have connected, rather than acknowledging that it appropriately backed up this folder previously, and I simply don't need it anymore.

If the latter is the case (and I don't need it backed up any more), and I also no longer have the original folder, how do I go about removing the folder from this endless loop of TM reproduction that's taking up space?

Aug 18, 2023 7:07 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E wrote:

Thank you for explaining and reminding me of that. I can live with that, now that it makes sense. I appreciate your time.

Time Machine - Extra, unknown folder being backed up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.