You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Apple Pencil wont stay connected

My new Apple Pencil wont stay connected to my new iPad. Once I take the pencil off it disconnects.

Posted on Aug 8, 2023 2:13 PM

5 replies

Aug 8, 2023 2:22 PM in response to Marielily1

Your Apple Pencil is exhibiting symptoms of a dead battery - that will not accept or hold any charge.

The tiny internal Li-ion battery is susceptible to permanent/irreversible damage through being left discharged for long periods. Even some “new” pencils can exhibit signs of failure out-of-the-box if they are “old stock”. It is essential that if you have an Apple Pencil that you charge it regularly - whether used or not - so as to protect the battery from deep-discharge. Do not allow a pencil to remain in low-charge state for any period of time - as the internal battery will fail, rendering the Pencil useless. Setting aside an unused Pencil, for extended periods, is a recipe for premature death of the Pencil battery.

If the Pencil Battery has failed, the only remedy is to replace the Pencil. If the battery has failed and your pencil is within its one-year warranty, you should look to having it replaced by your retailer or at an Apple Store.

You might also consider visiting the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad and Pencil:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Jun 23, 2024 12:11 AM in response to Timothy Geisler

I don’t know about anyone else, but I’m not using the side button and that may be part of the problem with it disconnecting so here’s my suggestion for the next pencil. I just realized what I need the side button to do which is pick up the color underneath the tip. Now I have to figure out if it can be programmed to do that, but that is the thing that I use the most. I’ve managed not to sit on this one, but I probably had six pencils in the last 3 1/2 years. I go through Apple Pencil more than I did number two pencils in school and these are kind of expensive. I’m 90% sure you already have this design sitting there and just didn’t implement it due to the cost. While you’re at it at laser, pointer, and regular ink pen. : ) We will referred to it as the Swiss army pencil

Jun 22, 2024 11:16 PM in response to Marielily1

I have a brand new iPad Pro and Apple Pencil Pro that I bought during release and the pencil just stops working. Nothing like doing artwork and having your pencil stop over and over and over and over again all day long. Rebooting doesn’t help. it really doesn’t make a lot of sense because it just quits and then I can stop using it for a while. Normally it’ll start working again. It’s brand new and my pencil is normally go below 80% anyway. Also, the tips keep falling off constantly. I need a reliable iPad to be able to do my artwork and this is not working. It also draws a line randomly starting to the right of where I’m drying at part of the time.

[Edited by Moderator]

Jun 23, 2024 1:44 AM in response to Timothy Geisler

Timothy Geisler wrote:

Also, the tips keep falling off constantly. I need a reliable iPad to be able to do my artwork and this is not working. It also draws a line randomly starting to the right of where I’m drying at part of the time.

[Edited by Moderator]

Ensure that the user-replaceable Pencil tip is snugly screwed into the body of the Apple Pencil; when fitted correctly you should see a tiny gap, of about the thickness of a sheet of paper, between the tip and pencil body. If slightly loosened, or overtightened, the Pencil may not work properly, if at all.

If the tip is falling-off, it is either incorrectly fitted - or either the tip or Pencil itself have been damaged.

The transducer that sits beneath the replaceable Pencil tip is a vulnerable component that can be damaged - leading to inconsistent drawing. Excessive lateral force to the tip, being dropped, or sat upon, are common causes of irreparable damage to a Pencil.

My Apple Pencil wont stay connected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.