You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD Fan control settings

hi i have upgraded the hard drive to a SSD sata drive 500gb, I have a imac late 2013 2.7ghz running the fan keeps coming on and is really noisy, I have downloaded SSD Fan control but need to know which settings to use, Thank You in advance

iMac 21.5″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 1:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 28, 2023 9:40 AM

Important to diagnosis: Without a fan controller, does the fan speed ramp up slowly after a cold start, or does the fan go full speed as soon as you start from cold?

If the latter, that suggests that a temp sensor somewhere inside the compeer was damaged during the drive swap. If that the case, a new logic board may be required and the the servce provider who did the work make it right.

Also, if a damaged sensor, a fan control app may not overcome that. Apple Diagnostics will pick up a failed temp sensor.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If that throws a code, there is a link at the end of that article to list of codes and their meaings.

Default fan speed on my 2017 iMac is 1200 rpm.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 28, 2023 9:40 AM in response to Tobyhead

Important to diagnosis: Without a fan controller, does the fan speed ramp up slowly after a cold start, or does the fan go full speed as soon as you start from cold?

If the latter, that suggests that a temp sensor somewhere inside the compeer was damaged during the drive swap. If that the case, a new logic board may be required and the the servce provider who did the work make it right.

Also, if a damaged sensor, a fan control app may not overcome that. Apple Diagnostics will pick up a failed temp sensor.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

If that throws a code, there is a link at the end of that article to list of codes and their meaings.

Default fan speed on my 2017 iMac is 1200 rpm.

Jul 28, 2023 8:44 PM in response to Tobyhead

... I have downloaded SSD Fan control but need to know which settings to use,

None. Uninstall it.

There is only one reason to use clever things designed to circumvent a Mac's cooling system: to hide a problem that must be fixed. Fix the problem. Run Apple Diagnostics as Allan Jones recommended.

If your iMac's exhaust fan is audibly noisy you don't need an app to tell you that.

SSD Fan control settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.