You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does Software Update show 'This update requires a Wi-Fi network connection to download' when it just used the Wi-Fi network to find the available update?

Both of my iPads, a 9.7 and a 10.7, connect to my Wi-Fi and find the 16.5.1 (c) update. Both also report 'This update requires a Wi-Fi connection to download'. I've restarted, no change. What's going on with this?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 16

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 5:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 15, 2023 5:45 AM

Yes, but the problem is I *have* a wifi connection, on both iPads. Wifi is used to find that the update is available, web browsing works, etc., so why is it not letting me download & install the update? Note that both iPads are currently running 16.5.1

10 replies

Jul 15, 2023 5:56 AM in response to Gryfon1

System software updates can, in some circumstances, trigger a problem with the iPad (or iPhone) internal routing table. The causes are many, but are usually attributable to some types of App or associated device configuration.

If you have a VPN App or profiles installed, or a security App such as Norton, these may be interfering with your network routing to some internet server resources. The resolution is usually simple; if installed, you may only need to temporarily disable and/or remove the Security App and/or VPN. After removing the offending App, a restart of your WiFi Router and devices may be necessary.

To restart you home router, disconnect power - then wait at least 30 seconds before restarting. When you router has rebooted (which may take several minutes), force-restart your iPad:

Force restart iPad (models with Face ID or with Touch ID in the top button)

If your iPad doesn’t have the Home button, do the following:

1. Press and quickly release the volume button nearest to the top button.
  2. Press and quickly release the volume button farthest from the top button.
  3. Press and hold the top button.
  4. When the Apple logo appears, release the top button.

Force restart iPad (models with the Home button)

Press and hold the top button and the Home button at the same time. When the Apple logo appears, release both buttons.

After restarting, attempt to install the update.

If this resolves your issue, the VPN and/or security App can be reinstated after the connectivity problem has been resolved.

Jul 15, 2023 5:35 AM in response to Gryfon1

Assuming that you are not having difficulties with the update, this should merely an indication that the RSR (Rapid Security Response) Update can only be downloaded and installed over a WiFi connection.

By contrast, full System Software Updates can be installed as an OTA update (i.e., over WiFi) or using Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or Mac computer (with Finder or iTunes - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS).

The available iPadOS 16.5.1(c) RSR (as downloaded and installed over WiFi) is memory resident and reversable.

The full iPadOS 16.5.1 System Software Update is a full firmware update - that, once installed, cannot be routinely downgraded to an earlier version of iPadOS.

Oct 18, 2023 9:24 PM in response to LotusPilot

VPN as well above information is irrelevant to this matter as my iPad has provided the same details with the software not being able to update even though it’s connected to the Internet, in regards to Wi-Fi and or cellular connection for my iPad had both, being said the answer is above do not provide the correct answer obviously this is a software problem preventing the iPads for the update of any new software. Aren’t alone in this matter.

Oct 18, 2023 9:33 PM in response to Gryfon1

Being a software issue itself has made things very complicated for not being able to update your iPad as well being a previous Apple employee I’m aware of the aggravation this is causing,the best bet is to take it to your Apple store. I had to take my iPad in, as not having Apple warranty or any coverage they shouldn’t charge you if you are lucky you can find a understanding representative as they’ll give you instructions and you do it yourself therefore it won’t be anything out of your pocket just a heads up hopefully this will help you out

Why does Software Update show 'This update requires a Wi-Fi network connection to download' when it just used the Wi-Fi network to find the available update?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.