You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro doesn't mount PCI internal storage after rebooting from Mac OS

Hi,

This just started happening. I've got a Mac Pro 7,1 with a small main boot SSD and a much later internal, PCI NVME storage drive that is RAID'ed into a single striped volume. On that volume, I've got my Mac OS home directories (something that Mac OS seems to tolerate poorly) and some volumes that I use for data when I boot windows via Bootcamp.

About 2 weeks ago, I noticed that whenever I rebooted from Bootcamp, Mac OS has stopped mounting the internal storage. This is obvious because when I login, I don't see drives on the desktop and the login process never completes (I see a desktop, some icons but the machine isn't usable - just a rainbow wheel). I have to hard boot the machine to recover.

Does anyone know what is going on? This setup was working reliably for at least 18 months before this all started just recently.

Posted on Jul 2, 2023 8:37 AM

Similar questions

9 replies

Jul 2, 2023 9:56 AM in response to geabnnea

one thing I notice is that by choosing FAT32 instead of exFAT, you are limited to max 4GB file size on that Windows drive, and may be at the maximum size drive at 2 TB (without talking extraordinary steps in formatting). I don't EXPECT that would confuse MacOS, but 'ya never know'.

I don't see any other handles to pick this problem up with, so I recommend you use this little "discovery" Utility, Etrecehck, to look around inside your Mac and create a report, suitable for sharing back to the forums.

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Jul 2, 2023 10:21 AM in response to geabnnea

Mac fans respond to measured temperatures. So that blower fan is probably seeing the substantial heat from that PCIe SSD card.

It's not an accident they want you to apply the thermal tape and heatsinks, and the card slot cover has its own air exit grille to encourage hot air exit.

In the case of overheating, what is said to happen is that the individual SSD drives slow down, and performance (but NOT appearance/disapperance) suffers.

Feb 17, 2024 8:20 PM in response to geabnnea

You are not alone. I have the exact same issues (internal NVME storage failing to mount, top blower fan suddenly spiking) with very similar hardware (Sonnet, Samsung EVO, MacOS RAID) and there are plenty of other Mac Pro 7,1 owners with similar issues with internal NVME storage. Also it worked fine for me for an extended period of time before starting to become very unreliable. Nobody, to my knowledge, has ever gotten this sorted ... the only known workaround is to hard boot the machine until the storage mounts properly.

The hard boot approach does work after a few tries; however, it can and does cause corruption of a variety of things.

Mar 10, 2024 5:15 AM in response to geabnnea

Has anybody gotten any further with this?

It seems a random drive disconnect is common to both the 2019 and 2023 Mac Pro models. This is with and without RAID.

I've had a look around and it seems to happen regardless of drive carrier switched and unswitched, (I personally have been through Sonnet, Startech and Lycom and I know others that have Highpoint and generics that suffer the problem.

Also the drive seems not to matter, Corsair, Samsung, Sabrent amongst others.

Jun 19, 2024 12:39 AM in response to Dee-Eye-Gee

j'ai deux cartes NVME en solo sur bootcamp cela fonctionne (attention il faut choisir la bonne option pour windows) sinon effectivement ce fait tourner le ventilateur de trop et cela fait planter les donnée semble t'il.

Parcontre une remarque c'est que bootcamp ne reconnais pas les cartes nvme en mode raid car il le prend en mode disk dur externe...

A suivre j'ai quelques idées en tête mais à voir ...

Belle journée,

Mac Pro doesn't mount PCI internal storage after rebooting from Mac OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.